Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Tuesday Westerly

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by Michael » Tue May 07, 2024 2:45 pm

Michael wrote:Low tide so I might check out Point Roberts for a wing.

Point Roberts was a bust, wind was so much lighter out there. Looks like Jericho was good though, lots of wingers on the cam now.
Michael

by Alton » Tue May 07, 2024 3:41 pm

Scored over 2.5 hrs in W 18-25 on 8m+surfboard at Acadia. The sandbars appeared earlier than expected at 10:15 (1m). Excellent waist high breaking waves with super clean sections between. Nice to have some company with Chris, Rob, Hubert and a couple other kiters. Some later arrivals included Steve and Sam. Beautiful tropical day with warm temps and big smiles.

Jericho_Tue_May_7.gif
Jericho_Tue_May_7.gif (13.08 KiB) Viewed 759 times
Alton

by Mike » Tue May 07, 2024 4:03 pm

Alton wrote:Scored over 2.5 hrs in W 18-25 on 8m+surfboard at Acadia.

Nicely done! As much as it annoyed me to miss a rare day like that, I wasn't up to it. Next time! :roll:
Mike

by drummermom » Tue May 07, 2024 6:06 pm

Ambleside finally showed up. 2 kiters ( Sean and I ) 1 foiler ( Luke )
and half a dozen wingers. Usual wavy crap but nice to get some. lol
drummermom

by JonathanP » Wed May 08, 2024 9:18 pm

Enjoyed a light evening wing at ambleside. Some fun rolling swell here and there.

Forgot that I set my phone on my wing before going out and remembered half hour later that I likely flung it into the water when entering. Looked around a bit, but was hopeless in the shorepound/rising tide so continued the session. Straight to voicemail when calling it after the session, while it was likely underwater. Tried calling this morning as the tide went down and it rang! Drove back down to the beach and looked around. Find my phone didn't work, indicating that there was enough service for a call but not GPS, so after combing the beach deduced that it was probably buried in sand. Rented a metal detector in North Van, and after about 2 min looking along the nearby jetty, got a signal and dug it up a few cm below the surface. Slight water ingression into the waterproof case but seemingly fine after spending the night a meter or two underwater!
JonathanP

by Mike » Thu May 09, 2024 7:34 am

JonathanP wrote:Rented a metal detector in North Van, and after about 2 min looking along the nearby jetty, got a signal and dug it up a few cm below the surface.

Now that's not far from finding a needle in a haystack!
Mike

by johnny2 » Thu May 09, 2024 8:13 am

Awesome! Good to know I can still call you. Now what kind of phone case was that please? That's an amazing review for a waterproof phone case. We had fun on the other side of the water on 4m. Craig found nice big swell waaaayyy into the shipping channel past the second freighter. A little spooky to be that far out and in the shipping channel.
johnny2

by Michael » Thu May 09, 2024 9:54 am

JonathanP wrote:Rented a metal detector in North Van, and after about 2 min looking along the nearby jetty, got a signal and dug it up a few cm below the surface. Slight water ingression into the waterproof case but seemingly fine after spending the night a meter or two underwater!

Wow that's crazy and a great outcome! So glad you found it.
Michael

by JonathanP » Thu May 09, 2024 5:08 pm

johnny2 wrote:Awesome! Good to know I can still call you. Now what kind of phone case was that please? That's an amazing review for a waterproof phone case. We had fun on the other side of the water on 4m. Craig found nice big swell waaaayyy into the shipping channel past the second freighter. A little spooky to be that far out and in the shipping channel.

Haha, the case was just some generic Amazon one, let in a few ml of water, but the phone is somewhat waterproof too.

Thinking of doing a down winder some time from lighthouse park over to Spanish banks and down to Ambleside for an uber back up. Should probably put flotation on the phone for that one though! Nice rollers out there, gotta have a fast foil though to keep up with them!
JonathanP

Previous

Return to Weather Talk and OSR