Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

White Rock on Sunday SW

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by Mike » Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:13 pm

Good day on kite surfboard and 7M. Biggest turn out I've seen in a while and had to keep a look out when playing with the waves. Cold hands brought me in so, regrettably, took the pass windsurfing when the westerly kicked in.
Mike

by Alton » Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:06 pm

Epic day at White Rock. Early afternoon was too much for my 8m+surfboard so had to downsize to 5m which was marginal at times in SW 25g30. Huge turnout of kiters and 3 windsurfers (C36, Michael and a very talented freestyler). Packed up with most of the kiters then the W30 westerly arrived just before I deflated by 5m so went out again a super fun chest high wave session. It's been years since I scored a true westerly at White Rock so I could not back away from this rare occurence. Good to see a lot of familiar faces for a change.

It's been almost 2 month since my last kite session (3 in first week of Jan) ... and I think I'm gonna feel it tomorrow morning.
Alton

by imdmitry » Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:34 pm

I windsurf at Ferry Terminal around 11am for 1h on 4.8 sail. Wind was 17-20kn.
Later damaged my sail and switched to 2.5m kite foiling wind up to 25kn, decent swell. Still some weeds , had to stay far out or close to shore to avoid them.
Then went to Jericho. It was gusting to 30kn, but was so cold. Couldn't change into wet wetsuit . Even big swell couldn't motivate me.
Lots of people out today at both places.
imdmitry

by Michael » Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:15 pm

Nice to see everyone out today! Fun but challenging day. First time winging at White Rock, some good and some bad points. It was tough getting through the break when the tide was low. Once outside though there were some nice steep waves to ride, sometimes a little too steep. :o Caught some nice topside rides though once I got used to things. When the wind switched it was too much for my 3.5 wing so I came in and switched to windsurfing. Unfortunately it had started to drop by the time I got out. Still got a few nice reaches in and a few good wave rides.
Michael

by Jirka » Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:23 am

I didn't wait until the wind arrived to Acadia, but drove to White Rock. Very good decision! 4.7 and 100l freestyle for the beginning, then little drop before one of my best sessions here in Canada. Picked up my 78l wave board and 4.7. I was overpower but I didn't wanted to lose time with rigging smaller sail. Epic side shore conditions for jumping and some rides. Wind and snow is returning hopefully... :D Let's hope for another great session tomorrow!!!
Jirka

by Slappy » Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:25 pm

I opted for the NW at Spanish Banks, it was a bit wild but there was some decent stuff out there. Very chilly though. One nice thing about winging is all the effort keeps you warmer.
Slappy

by C36 » Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:05 pm

Hectic. Got the peak of the wind and was able to move around most of the time (unusually steady for WREB), but the smaller choppy waves kept your busy. Wind was south of straight onshore so port out gave you more angle off the beach hammering into the tightly spaced wind. Starboard inbound was a touch smoother working in with the waves. Counted over 20 kites up and more on the beach. Tsawwassen was the only wind and I was the only windsurder until one other joined in. Sailed for about an hour and a half and called it just before the wind shifted NW. Started with sail half downhauled and half outhauled and added then added a bit more downhaul as the wind picked up. Fun session for what it was. Nice to get out - it had been a while.

Gallery (to watch as a slideshow click on the screen icon top right)
C36

by Michael » Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:32 pm

C36 wrote:Nice to get out - it had been a while.

Thanks for the pictures Dave. It was great to see you out again!
Michael

Previous

Return to Weather Talk and OSR