Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Sunday Westerly

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by Alton » Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:06 pm

Scored 2 hrs at Tolmie (between SB and Locarno) on 12m+surfboard. It's been 6 weeks since I was last on the water on 5m+surfboard.
Alton

by Slappy » Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:24 pm

I decided to launch from Tolmie so I could have a go on the wingfoil in the afternoon. Big mistake. Took me 1:30 to get up to Dog Beach and in the end I walked a bunch of it. Once I hit that first dolphin the current was ripping downwind close to the bar and the wind got a bit funky and I was barely making headway.

Once I got up to Tower Beach things were decent. A bit light for my 11m though. I missed the best tide as Tower fires best on about 0.8m tide but it was a really low tide today.

Lots of kites out today, great to see the Vancouver kite launch rocking today.

My afternoon wingfoil didn't go amazing. That 58L board might be beyond my skills for getting from knees to feet. Consistently getting going on the knees though and almost getting up on foil kneeling.
Slappy

by Slappy » Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:32 am

Slappy

by JonathanP » Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:12 pm

Slappy wrote:My afternoon wingfoil didn't go amazing. That 58L board might be beyond my skills for getting from knees to feet. Consistently getting going on the knees though and almost getting up on foil kneeling.

I've found that keeping my back shin across the board and holding the top of my foot against the rail, hooking under the board helps with stability. Then giving the wing a pump just before/while placing your front foot to keep them nose from diving, and more pumps when bringing up the back foot worked pretty consistently for me.

Put together a little technique clip a while back:
https://youtu.be/VclY4e6WKZs
JonathanP

Return to Weather Talk and OSR