Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Wingsurf Point Roberts on a SW?

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by Slappy » Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:57 pm

I was down in Point Roberts today at Lighthouse Park and it looks like a really nice spot for wingsurfing on a South Westerly (aside from the 1.5 hour border line today).

It was about 14 knots, side on shore with decent swell moving North along the shore.

It's a spot I've always wanted to kite but I'm a bit too scared of the current and the nasty burs in the grassy area. I've picked up a cheap 6m wing on clearance though so it looks like one of the better options on a SW.

Anyone have any experience winging or windsurfing there?

I know that 2 different currents collide right at the point and produce a nasty rip. And that there is a bit of a kelp forest near that area.

PR_ramp.jpg
PR_ramp.jpg (419.28 KiB) Viewed 2145 times

Slappy

by Young » Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:06 pm

I used to sail there in my windsurfing days, like 20 years ago. Launch on the westside, sail south around the point, getting out of that wicked current and riding the onshore waves. Trouble was the mats of bullwhip kelp grab your fins. One time, fin caught and I fell into the bullwhip right next to a fair sized sealion also in the kelp. He gave me stink eye and a bit of a fright.
Young

by imdmitry » Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:09 am

I kitesurf that place once long time ago. But we stayed inside upwind of those pilons, without goin out to open sea. Nice rigging area and heated washrooms cozy for change.

Today kite foiled at Ferry Terminal from 3-7pm on 5m. Only me and joined later by two kiters on twintips. Wind was up and down today. Started in 18kn, went down to 13kn in 1h. I changed packed everything, at the time I decided to leave wind picked up again to 20kn around 5pm. Decided to pump and go out again. Worst part get back into wet wetsuit. Second session was much better in stronger wind 20-22kn. It was cross on shore SW, and terminal wind meter was showing W (suppose to be off shore).
Overall great sunset session today.
imdmitry

by Michael » Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:54 am

Slappy wrote:Anyone have any experience winging or windsurfing there?

Yes, I've windsurfed out there a lot but I started winging when the boarder was closed so I haven't winged there yet. The swell can be really nice with a SSE to N wind, so I'm looking forward to it. The current is strongest around the point at Lighthouse Park. It can be really strong at times, I've windsurfed against it almost at a stand still. There are a few sea lions at the point and usually a pod of Porpoises, I've had them swim right next to me a few times. I'm not sure it would be a good place for your first few days winging but as soon as your comfortable it could be epic. I don't think it's that dangerous but it can be intimidating as it gets big fast and you feel really exposed out there. I always feel a bit nervous when I windsurf there, but I think winging will be fun as it's easier to self rescue. I like windsurfing from Gulf Rd on a NW as you're inside the bay a bit more and end up just getting washed ashore. I saw the line up yesterday, I haven't seen one that big in a while! If you have any questions or if you want someone to join you out there, just let me know.
Michael

by Ryan » Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:50 pm

I've windsurfed there several times. It was great when it was windy, sometimes some rideable waves on the point. viewtopic.php?f=20&t=47

On one occasion I launched west of the point just as the wind was dying, I fell for some reason and the current dragged me at top speed over the rocks along the shore, North to South. I held onto my boom with all my strength and emerged unscathed but with a ripped sail.
Ryan

Return to Weather Talk and OSR