Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Gale is coming to town

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by Michael » Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:24 am

Ryancr500 wrote:Was super stoked to see the wind Friday morning. Unfortunately, my wife decided to take my truck to work as she was out of gas... Had the thule box on top with my sails and booms inside! Glad everyone else had a fun session!

Ouch! I was wondering where you were.
Michael

by C36 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:27 pm

All business. Exercised patience waiting for the wind, swell and temps to all come up – this proved a difficult test as the conditions were building past ‘good’ into ‘better’. Rigged 4.5/92 while waiting, but it never got wet. When I decided it was ‘go time’ I rigged 3.8/74 to avoid that ‘shot from canon’ feel to start the session on 4.5/92. Then exercised mind, body and spirit in the afternoon glory! Launch on 3.8/74 was in the middle of the sweet spot – magic! Most of the session was workable and fun! Great wind/wave angle and ebbing tide allowed gains upwind and the freedom to hook-up with the swell trains, and then repeat, repeat, repeat! Swell built on wind and dropping tide, but there were more than a few waves left unridden in the peak(s) of the wind for fear of ‘overload’ and the beat down that might come with it. Late in the session still hunted for ‘windows’ for wave riding in the lulls amongst the diminishing waves and square chop. Fun consecutive wave/party wave moments shared with Mike, Johnny, Gleb, and Tsawwassen. I Appreciated Mike’s feedback on the new approach to back loop attempts (was working on height today) and the humour in Johnny’s observation about me going out two more times after I had ‘quit’ for the day (hard to stop and walk away). I was also very relieved to Carl sailing back into to the beach safely in the evening twilight. Lots of wind, lots of stoke mixed with some humbling wind.

Gallery (to view as a slideshow click on the screen icon top right)
Last edited by C36 on Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C36

by Mike » Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:52 pm

Dave - I think one of your photos of you bailing on the jump might have been the one I saw. Too bad I didn't have a camera as it would have qualified as jump off the day. To my eye it was the classic first part of a textbook backloop. Lots of air and perfectly straight up.
Mike

by ShonanDB » Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:16 pm

Great pics Dave! Fun morning on my 4.7 and 73L but I had to leave before the real wind and waves arrived. Some nice ramps and faces in the first 300 meters.
ShonanDB

by C36 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:21 pm

Mike wrote:Dave - I think one of your photos of you bailing on the jump might have been the one I saw. Too bad I didn't have a camera as it would have qualified as jump off the day. To my eye it was the classic first part of a textbook backloop. Lots of air and perfectly straight up.

Thanks Mike. Was the one you saw inside or outside? My guess is the one you saw may have been one of the first two (I had all that pent up energy from standing around watching), unfortunately the Go Pro wasn't on so they aren't shown. Both of the first two were inside. The first one was as you described (lots of air and straight up) and I 'felt' like I initiated rotation, but it on the wat down, too late, and just prior to hitting the water. Thanks again for being a second set of eyes.

ShonanDB wrote:Great pics Dave! Fun morning on my 4.7 and 73L but I had to leave before the real wind and waves arrived. Some nice ramps and faces in the first 300 meters.

8-) :D ;)
C36

by Mike » Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:41 am

C36 wrote:Thanks Mike. Was the one you saw inside or outside? My guess is the one you saw may have been one of the first two (I had all that pent up energy from standing around watching), unfortunately the Go Pro wasn't on so they aren't shown. Both of the first two were inside. The first one was as you described (lots of air and straight up) and I 'felt' like I initiated rotation, but it on the wat down, too late, and just prior to hitting the water. Thanks again for being a second set of eyes.

The one I saw was on the way out to the outside. There was a slight pause at the peak then you and your gear came down in seperate pieces :shock:

I see from the photos that Daryl got some nice air. Those look more the classic "big air" but still some horizontal - yours was distinctly first part backloop / more leaned back.
Mike

by C36 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:23 am

Mike wrote:The one I saw was on the way out to the outside. There was a slight pause at the peak then you and your gear came down in seperate pieces :shock:

I see from the photos that Daryl got some nice air. Those look more the classic "big air" but still some horizontal - yours was distinctly first part backloop / more leaned back.

Thanks Mike. That's helpful. There was definitely some 'learning' going on - trying something new that felt a little off at times and caused me to eject more than a few times, but it's all part of learning. Baby steps.
C36

by Jens » Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:14 pm

Put some gopro clips together from the day. Actually managed clean up the corroded circuit board in the old one and bring it back to life after it leaked saltwater last time

https://vimeo.com/493549340
Jens

by Michael » Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:31 pm

Jens wrote:Put some gopro clips together from the day. Actually managed clean up the corroded circuit board in the old one and bring it back to life after it leaked saltwater last time

Nice, looks like the stubby is lots of fun! Some nice airtime happening there!
Michael

by Jens » Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:34 am

Michael wrote:
Jens wrote:Put some gopro clips together from the day. Actually managed clean up the corroded circuit board in the old one and bring it back to life after it leaked saltwater last time

Nice, looks like the stubby is lots of fun! Some nice airtime happening there!

Thanks Michael, yea it's really fun, definitely helped me progress a bit too:)
Jens

Previous

Return to Weather Talk and OSR