Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

SE Friday

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by Alton » Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:04 pm

8mdude wrote:What did I miss? The schlogfestival?

Up and down day. Timing was everything. You could've made it work with your 8m kite
Alton

by Alton » Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:19 pm

Thanks to good timing, scored 1.5 hrs in the morning at 3rd Avenue. Started early morning on 9m+surfboard in SSE 20-18 for only 0.5 hrs. Back to my car to check messages, keep warm and finish my breakfast.

Returned to the beach just as the wind came back for 9m conditions. Over an hour hitting sharp A-shaped ramps that were much like those tightly spaced ramps at White Rock ... hard on the knees ... but well worth it for tons of smooth hero gybes.

Called it quits at noon but wonder if I should have waited until 2pm for the late afternoon session.

BoundaryBay_Fri_Nov_27.gif
BoundaryBay_Fri_Nov_27.gif (23.33 KiB) Viewed 4915 times
Alton

by C36 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:17 am

Morning. The all-day event forecast the day before was not to be. Beautiful light, but light wind. The morning update showed mid-day lullage. Kitefest at 3rd. Dmitri got on it early and scored the power-half-hour. I followed but caught the wind rotating SSW combined with waist high crisp wind swell. The water had some nice shape. There were a few moments that made it worthwhile. Wind tanked and turned the wings into floats.

Gallery (to view as a slideshow click on the screen icon top right)

Afternoon. The 4 pm push teased at dark but was punchy like an east wind (bad). Glad I had a dry winter wetsuit to put on for the second until I realised it was at home - mentally committed now to pulled to chilly wet one on. Chuck was having fun on kite/SB and Tsawwassen was out on wing. I stayed out until the street lights were on.

Gallery (to view as a slideshow click on the screen icon top right)
C36

by Michael » Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:58 am

C36 wrote:Chuck was having fun on kite/SB and Tsawwassen was out on wing. I stayed out until the street lights were on.

Sorry I didn't stay out longer but I thought it was closer to closing time so came off the water. Fun short windfoiling session, no wing yet Dave, which started out with me trying to get 5.3/102L trying to work but quickly switched to the foil. Great to sail with Chuck and not be slogging around on windsurf gear and to meet Adam.
Michael

by adam2 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:48 am

Michael wrote:
C36 wrote:Chuck was having fun on kite/SB and Tsawwassen was out on wing. I stayed out until the street lights were on.

Sorry I didn't stay out longer but I thought it was closer to closing time so came off the water. Fun short windfoiling session, no wing yet Dave, which started out with me trying to get 5.3/102L trying to work but quickly switched to the foil. Great to sail with Chuck and not be slogging around on windsurf gear and to meet Adam.

Great to meet you too Michael!
adam2

by Michael » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:22 pm

adam2 wrote:Great to meet you too Michael!
Hey Adam, hopefully next time we will get a little more wind and deeper water. Even at 4.0m it was a bit of a walk to clear the foil. I'm thinking I might try the boat launch next time I try and foil Boundary Bay. That bit of extra water should help.
Michael

by adam2 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:30 pm

Michael wrote:
adam2 wrote:Great to meet you too Michael!
Hey Adam, hopefully next time we will get a little more wind and deeper water. Even at 4.0m it was a bit of a walk to clear the foil. I'm thinking I might try the boat launch next time I try and foil Boundary Bay. That bit of extra water should help.

Agreed, while the walk is shorter from the parking lot at Centennial the walk in waist deep water seemed neverending. The wingers at 3rd were coming in way closer to shore than I dared. The boat launch is my plan for next time.
adam2

Previous

Return to Weather Talk and OSR