Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

SW Saturday?

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by shmish » Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:27 pm

Alton wrote:Over a dozen kiters, 1 wing foiler and 2 windsurfers.

Does foiling work with weeds?
shmish

by Alton » Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:00 pm

shmish wrote:Does foiling work with weeds?

Marcus the wing foiler was struggling with the weeds. He redeemed himself with a 10m kite + surfboard
Alton

by Michael » Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:08 pm

shmish wrote:
Alton wrote:Over a dozen kiters, 1 wing foiler and 2 windsurfers.

Does foiling work with weeds?

I was foiling at the Terminal today for about 3 hours. 4.3/106L starboard hypernut. At first the wind was light and the weeds were an issue, also I felt a little rusty and couldn't get going with the small sail. I would get up and I could feel the weeds pulling me off balance and I kept crashing. Thought I had made a mistake and was thinking I should have joined Dave at White Rock for some fin sailing. But once the wind picked up it was no problem. I had some really nice long reaches across the bay. Today was the first time foiling on the ocean with the Moses 1100 and going strapless, which made for some interesting crashes as I caught air off some of the swell. Things started coming back to me after a few good reaches and I got a few nice turns off some of the swell. Still suck at jibing though. The waves didn't stick around long as the wind wasn't really that solid but it was super fun. Looking forward to some foiling sessions in Boundary Bay. Thanks to John for showing me how to carry my gear and Brad for helping with my sail. Great to see you guys again!
Michael

by Skautik » Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:50 pm

Found the kite board on Ferry terminal today.If you lost one. Send me the pic/description. 604 seveen83 9474.
Skautik

by 8mdude » Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:14 pm

Ambleside was skunky. But still manage to have some for 30 mins. On and off so had to be pretty good timing the gust and lulls

Manage to get my winter gears from North Shore Ski And Board. Thanks to Covid I now support local businesses
8mdude

by shmish » Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:25 pm

Michael wrote:I was foiling at the Terminal today for about 3 hours. 4.3/106L starboard hypernut. At first the wind was light and the weeds were an issue, also I felt a little rusty and couldn't get going with the small sail. I would get up and I could feel the weeds pulling me off balance and I kept crashing. Thought I had made a mistake and was thinking I should have joined Dave at White Rock for some fin sailing. But once the wind picked up it was no problem. I had some really nice long reaches across the bay. ... Looking forward to some foiling sessions in Boundary Bay. Thanks to John for showing me how to carry my gear and Brad for helping with my sail. Great to see you guys again!

Sounds like a good day. I've been at home helping with turkey dinner, windsurfing today would have been politically deadly. I managed to get 45 min at Jericho yesterday after work with a 5.5 and Moses 790. It wasn't amazing but still good to get out. I was too hot in my 5/4 wetsuit + neoprene flotation vest.

I'm in for foiling at BB and FT on weekends.
shmish

by mjamero » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:43 pm

Once Locarno filled in most people were fully lit all afternoon. Locarno ended up being a great session for everyone who hit the water early afternoon. Fantastic turnout. Lots of kiters, some windsurfers, a couple wingers. Tired, sore, and lovin' it.
mjamero

by C36 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:09 pm

Chestnuts. There was enough wind in the trees this morning that the chestnuts were dropping. Thought the SE might linger so did a wind-check at Boundary Bay, but the wind tanked and spun. Off to White Rock East Beach. Thankfully wind freshened as I rigged so there was enough wind (steady wind) to power the big gear (6.1/116) and it was steady for WREB able to sail from the pier to the river mouth and have even power the whole way. Water/wind temps were fresh in my summer 4/3 – the ‘warmer’ summer vibe seems to be all gone. Some roll to the water and some nice jumping ramps early on then it seemed for flatten on the rising tide. Only got punchy toward the end. I was the only windsurfer out until Jens arrived. Grateful to get out. The sun even showed up.

Pre-Session OSR – part 1
Pre-Session OSR – part 2
Gallery (to view as a slideshow click on the screen icon top right)
C36

Previous

Return to Weather Talk and OSR