Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

SW Thursday

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by lucas » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:06 pm

Looks like a light SW tomorrow morning. I'm going to try White rock. I haven't got a session there for a few years any updates on parking, beach access and weed conditions? Thanks
lucas

by Alton » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:29 pm

Damn it. I made other commitments.

Boundary_Bay_Thu_Jun_2.gif
Boundary_Bay_Thu_Jun_2.gif (21.42 KiB) Viewed 5191 times
Alton

by Mike » Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:43 pm

Surprise! I did not expect this. GFS called it but I didn't take it seriously due to lack of corroboration with other forecasts. Snagged kite session on 9M & SB. Some fun (for kite surfboard) waist high waves way out when tide was still lowish. Mostly turned to choppy as tide came in. BIG kite turn out.

2nd unexpected session in as many days. Yesterday did solo session at Harrison in on/off rain and 12-13 deg temp. 4.5 sail and windfoil was plenty enough.
Mike

by shmish » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:51 am

Mike wrote:2nd unexpected session in as many days. Yesterday did solo session at Harrison in on/off rain and 12-13 deg temp. 4.5 sail and windfoil was plenty enough.

Nice. Did you see a promising temp gradient and take a chance on it? What do you think the wind speed was?

I squeezed 1 hr at Jericho on 15-16kn easterly yesterday. The low tide made it tricky for my first windfoil attempt. I had to walk quite a ways out before I could get on the board. I flew up on the foil a couple of times and instantly started heading downwind. The wind was NE so that pushed me into more shallow water. My 5.5 felt way overpowered as soon as I was on the foil. Lots to learn.
shmish

by Mike » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:50 am

shmish wrote:
Nice. Did you see a promising temp gradient and take a chance on it? What do you think the wind speed was?

I squeezed 1 hr at Jericho on 15-16kn easterly yesterday. The low tide made it tricky for my first windfoil attempt. I had to walk quite a ways out before I could get on the board. I flew up on the foil a couple of times and instantly started heading downwind. The wind was NE so that pushed me into more shallow water. My 5.5 felt way overpowered as soon as I was on the foil. Lots to learn.

I look mainly at GFS and Abbotsford airport for SW. Plus it was windy when I left. Not a typical day. Iwindsurf reading at 16g22 mph had me near overpowered. I was often on unhooked and letting the sail "flag". Wind drop to 15g20 was about right. It seems once a certain wind speed is reached with the big infinity 84 wing it gets hard to control. I think you said you had the equilivant Moses set up? Next would be 3.7 and/or the 76 wing. I'm trying to stay with the 84 wing for now as in theory easier to learn jibe? Plus idea is for light wind... 15-16 sounds optimal to learn so maybe smaller sail? A bit of the blind leading the blind as only a few sessions in so far.
Mike

by shmish » Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:52 pm

I wonder if a day like today at the Spit would be ok for learning to windfoil. Float around until a gust hits and then try to control the flight.
Attachments
spitgusty.PNG
spitgusty.PNG (47.97 KiB) Viewed 5023 times
shmish

Return to Weather Talk and OSR