Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Sunday SW

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by Roxstock » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:29 pm

Made the decision to ride at Iona today, probably not the best choice but had a fun session riding the flat water north of the poo pipe. Wind was averaging about 20 knots but saw some crazy gusts come through with a rain squall. Saw what looked like 2 small water spouts starting up and then hit with a huge gust that ripped me off of my board one time and the next time as one passed a big lull and my kite fell from the sky. Never seen that before but pretty cool to watch.
Roxstock

by C36 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:00 pm

Tug (or maybe Thug). Lazy start to the day trying to be patient and wait for the mid-afternoon power hour. Ran errands, walked dog, look-see at White Rock East Beach (light and flat), look-see at Birch Bay (flat and side-off), returned to WREB just in time to join the three kites out and Tsawwassen (who also just arrived) for the power hour. Wind, wind swell, temp, and stoke all amped up. A few smoothies over near the pier (not as near as Tsawwassen got). Standard issue WREB - standing still in glassy water then getting ripped out of the straps. Fun in the sun! Gleb closing off the session. Funny the wind rotation (to west) never happened.

Pre-Session OSR 1
Pre-Session OSR 2
Gallery (to view as a slideshow click on the screen icon (top right)
Last edited by C36 on Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C36

by Michael » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:14 am

Classic White Rock day. First thought I rigged too small, then was over powered. Crazy gusts made for some exciting moments punching out through the very tightly space waves, which down near the pier were Xlarge! The power hour was sweet but things backed a bit and it was a challenge making it through the waves. Came in for a short break but wind had dropped when I returned to the water. Made my way up to the pier thinking it would pick up, as there were some powerful gust still pulsing through, but it didn't. Turned around and tried to get planing off a nice sized wave, a big gust hit and I started to pick up speed, then the wave closed out on me. Not sure what happened but slammed my hip into my mast and ripped a nice long hole in my sail. Was just able to slog back to the beach with the hole in my sail. Fun day until it wasn't, nice sized bruise and a very sad 4.7. Glad Gleb got out at the end, hope you scored a few nice wave rides.
Michael

by shmish » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:59 am

Brian C wrote:Patience Paid Off...
Enjoyed by me, Kevin, Doug, AJ, Lubo, and a very skilled windsurf-foiler from Tsawwassen who’s name I have already forgotten (sorry).

I think his name was Eric, he was riding a carbon Moses with 111cm mast. It seemed to keep him above the chop and whitecaps very well. His foil speed was pretty impressive too.
shmish

Previous

Return to Weather Talk and OSR