Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Wednesday SE

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by Brian C » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:23 pm

Looks like a dud today. Let’s hope for a Saturday morning NW before the temp drops. Forecasts show 7c in the morning dropping to 4C in the afternoon.
Brian C

by shmish » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:42 pm

Brian C, where do you think you'll head to in Sat am?
shmish

by Brian C » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:24 pm

I wouldn’t rely on me for sailing company tomorrow-I am picky when it’s cold and wet- but if I go it will likely be Locarno. Acadia would be more fun but the high tide at 10am could make for pounding shorebreak.
Other alternatives on a NW are White Rock, Gary Point Richmond, Tswassen (N side of spit), Gulf Rd Point Roberts, and Ambleside. Usually people post OSRs if they are checking any of these places.
Brian C

by shmish » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:10 pm

Subject: Wednesday SE

Brian C wrote:I wouldn’t rely on me for sailing company tomorrow-I am picky when it’s cold and wet- but if I go it will likely be Locarno. Acadia would be more fun but the high tide at 10am could make for pounding shorebreak.
Other alternatives on a NW are White Rock, Gary Point Richmond, Tswassen (N side of spit), Gulf Rd Point Roberts, and Ambleside. Usually people post OSRs if they are checking any of these places.

I'll probably check out Jericho/Locarno if it's not too cold. I'm wondering what locations might have flatter water: flatter means me falling in less on jibes. Maybe Stearman beach is protected from waves a bit (but maybe also less wind?). High tide means small walk to the water but I don't know what it's like rigging there. I've only been to Stearman at dawn in the fall when beachcasting for salmon.
shmish

by Brian C » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:43 pm

Stearman Beach and Irwin Park are in too much of a wind shadow from Lighthouse Park during W/NW winds. They really only work during SE/SW winds.
The N side of Tswassen ferry terminal (from the small taxi waiting lot about 400 m before the terminal area) has the flattest water on NW winds and is safe in case of breakdowns. The little parking lot used to be nicknamed “the windsurfers lot” but not many people sail from there anymore. I used to enjoy it.
Kiters often launch and sail on the south side in the flat water but it’s offshore wind and the road/jetty creates a pretty bad wind shadow at windsurfers’ level.
Other than Tswassen, the sites I mentioned tend to be more difficult than Jericho. One other alternative may be Kits beach. I know some people kite there in the winter.
Brian C

Previous

Return to Weather Talk and OSR