Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Friday SE

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by Alton » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:54 pm

Scored almost 1 hr at dawn patrol. 9m was too much so switched to 7m + surfboard for SSE 25. Smoooooooth organized chest high waves. It was short but sweet before my kite fell out of the sky.

Wind returned at 1pm but my 9m was way too much for SSE 25g30 ... rode in survival mode for 1.5 hrs. After getting out of control I had to self-land in Centennial using my portable tether. Thanks to the windsurfer who picked up my surfboard which I abandoned at shore.

Anyway, what a perfect way to start 2020.

BoundaryBay_Fri_Dec_3.gif
BoundaryBay_Fri_Dec_3.gif (28.48 KiB) Viewed 6921 times
Alton

by Brian C » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:35 pm

Scored a double windsurfing session today. The morning one on 4.5 was much too short but the waves and wind were really good while they lasted.
Thanks to our coffee break in AJ’s comfy trailer, the long wait for the afternoon session was more fun than usual. When the wind finally kicked back in after lunch, I was quickly overpowered on my 5.0 and wondering why I’d de-rigged the 4.5, but hung on for about an hour before calling it a day.
A great turnout of winter windsurfers, enjoying the 11C dry weather....made for an entertaining start to the 2020 sailing season!
Brian C

by shmish » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:37 pm

Man, did I ever screw up my timing. 25-30 might have been too much for me anyways... Im glad people got some riding in.
shmish

by C36 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:37 am

Wood chipper. Long time coming. Early birds (Brian C and Mike) score brief morning shift. Then BWD 1 proved right (even if an outlier forecast) and hole in the donut showed up (mid-day tank). Leisurely chat at the 'show and shine' in the morning - RyanCR500 took first place for 'most interesting' overlander. Honoured by visits from Alton and Jerry. Then wind teased a few optimists out on big gear - wind filled in, lifted, twisted, then cranked. Shared the early stuff with DB. Then quickly rigged 4.5/92 and joined Tsawwassen out at the edge of the second bank - some moments of glory but some odd moments too (lifting wind, wind shifts, current). At the peak of the wind had the 4.5 full-flat and had my hands full (not sure how Tsawwassen was hanging onto his 5.2). Lots of small wood in the water and hit one spooky 'object’ that felt large, but soft that quickly slowed me to a stop with a slow-motion-over-the-handlebars-park-n-fly, followed by a didn't-want-to hang-around-to-find-out-what-it-was-waterstart.

Warm air, cold (but not icy water), fun company, wind and some shape to the water. Happy with what we got.

Gallery (click on the "screen" icon in the top right to view slideshow)
Last edited by C36 on Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
C36

by Michael » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:57 am

C36 wrote:(not sure how Tsawwassen was hanging onto his 5.2).
I was a bit over powered. :D Got a bit of airtime though! Should have rigged down but hey didn't want to miss out. Fun seeing every one today. Nice start to the new year, felt like October, hope it keeps up!
Michael

by 8mdude » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:50 am

good to be able to join both windsurfers and kiters yesterday. Double session with 8m kite with 4’ 10” surf board and 4.5 and 3.7 m sails with 74L board

I can’t believe how much energy I can tap into the love for this sports. I didn’t get a sleep at all the night before and yet manage to sail in the day. The wind the night before just kept shaking mi casa
8mdude

Previous

Return to Weather Talk and OSR