Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

SE Fri and Sat?

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by 8mdude » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:54 pm

Great 2 hour session today at BBAY. Cold but good warm up for tomorrow. When I arrived at 1.30pm it was so light and then picked up around 2 and was overpowered on my 8m but didn't bother gearing down as I thought it would probably be die down soon enough -- which it died around 4pm (or switched to SW). See you tomorrow. Boondocking in town to save $1.60 per liter gasoline.
8mdude

by Michael » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:18 pm

8mdude wrote:Great 2 hour session today at BBAY.

Glad you scored AJ I totally missed it, had a good swim though. Water is nice and warm, no booties today, hopefully tomorrow delivers.
Michael

by Alton » Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:20 pm

Sweet 2.5 hours wave session. First on 9m overpowered then quickly switched on 7m for the sweetest waist high wave rides upwind of Centennial. Smooth sections under sunny sky. Big turn out.

Boundary_Bay_Sat_Apr_6.gif
Boundary_Bay_Sat_Apr_6.gif (23.59 KiB) Viewed 9012 times
Alton

by Michael » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:24 pm

Fun session today, like a windsurfing reunion down at the boat launch! :D Luckily I didn't bring my wetsuit down the first time cause by the time I had gotten back the wind had kicked in and that saved me the re-rig. 4.3/80l was even a bit much at first but flattened it out and it was better. Some nice ramps for backie attempts, 2 really nice ones, 1 my feat came out of the straps half way around, :shock: and a few nice backside airs. I finally nailed a really nice one today. :D Hope we get a few more spring sessions in, that was super fun.
Michael

by C36 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:58 pm

Battered then better (much better). Quick look-sees at Centennial, Gulf Road, Lighthouse Park, Breakwall, then back to boat ramp to launch big gear. Took to the water early solo in east wind out of desperation (after all it had been about three months). It was warm and wind was steady - but it was east wind. Mowing the lawn was called off when the wind spun SE and amped up. Now there was sun and wind, we just needed the wind swell and it showed up too! I got in too deep in one crumbler and it rolled me. After rigging down to 4.5/92 was still to much and I felt like I was getting battered. Parked my gear on a low-tide 'island' and grabbed a drink. Then the wind backed and it was light-rig-in-the-hands-magic. A few jumps, turns and some mini-flo. Everyone there today was all smiles. Way better than Friday's non-event.

Pre-Session OSR 1
Pre-Session OSR 2
Gallery (better for mobile devices)
SlideshowGallery
C36

by ShonanDB » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:20 pm

Went straight to PR this morning and checked out Maple Beach just South of the Boat Launch but ended up at LHP. Rigged my new to me 5.3 and took out the 101L FSW. Well powered and with the outgoing tide, found it easy to stay at the Point and there were some funky standing waves and double up rollers just outside. Came in for a break around 10:30 and the wind ramped up quickly. Rigged my 3.7 and took out the 73L but it was too much so I went in and rigged my 3.3. That did the trick but only got about 5 or 6 runs before it started backing off. Slogged in and switched to the 5.3 again but the wind kept backing off so I called it a day. Was joined by another but he arrived as it was dropping off and 2 others came (the elusive AG +1) when I was packing up. Probably could have gone back out on the 5.3 and 101 for another hour but it looked to have dropped and switched to SW by 3pm. Nice mix of being dialed in and some survival sailing to round out the session. More please!
ShonanDB

by Brian C » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:39 pm

Fun in the sun!! Great double session from the boat ramp. Began on 5.0/95 litres and found some very clean, mid-size swell off the second sandbank: thanks to Johnny for leading the way!! When it suddenly began gusting in the mid 30s we all headed in for much smaller gear. What followed was an awesome 4.0/85 litre session in the foamy breaking swell as the tide dropped under 2m. Had a few nice floaty jumps on the way out, and multi-turn rides coming in. My wave riding is very amateur but I loved it anyway. More PLEASE!!!
Brian C

Previous

Return to Weather Talk and OSR