Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

2019 first sesh Thursday? Wednesday too cold

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by gabrielb » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:35 pm

surf at PR 10am-1230. Water and air temperature was good. with my old 6/5 did not feel cold.

waves were good at low tide. some chest high. George & myself
gabrielb

by Slappy » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:31 pm

Had a nice 2 hour session in the afternoon waves. Wind was up and down but enough to have fun on the 6.5m.

Tried out the Odysea 54 Special behind the kite, bought it for wake surfing though. It's decent, carves well and fast, but feels a bit too short.

Slappy

by Chris Klohn » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:56 am

[quote="Alton"]Thanks Chris ... but I didn't understand anything you said.

:D :D

The track and strength of the low looks good for SE winds
Chris Klohn

by Michael » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:13 am

Super fun day! Great watching Adrien throw down and sharing the stoke! Nice wind and waves and lots of happy sailors! Fun wrapping front side Eurostyle, as Adrien would say. Almost stuck a backie, move back hand back and stay tucked in :D Happy New Year to everyone!

Michael

by ShonanDB » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:59 am

Great video Michael! The waves looked really nice.
ShonanDB

by Brian C » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:54 pm

Thanks, photographers (Dave and Michael)!!
Dave - as always, it amazes me how you get lots of great shots of us, while still spending more TOW than anyone else. I really enjoy seeing your quality photos after so many of our best days on the water!!
Michael- your GoPro videos are getting better every time! Great sequence of Adrien, shots of your smooth wave turns (NICE), and tight editing to keep it short but SWEET!

Keep ‘em coming, thanks.
Brian C

by Michael » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:02 pm

ShonanDB wrote:Great video Michael! The waves looked really nice.

Brian C wrote:Michael- your GoPro videos are getting better every time!

Thanks guys, :D hope we get a few more nice days like that soon. :!:
Michael

by Adrian L » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:02 pm

Michael wrote:Super fun day! Almost stuck a backie, move back hand back and stay tucked in :D Happy New Year to everyone!

Very close indeed! Way to go Michael!
Adrian L

by C36 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:11 pm

Brian C wrote:Thanks, photographers (Dave and Michael)!!
Dave - as always, it amazes me how you get lots of great shots of us, while still spending more TOW than anyone else. I really enjoy seeing your quality photos after so many of our best days on the water!!
Michael- your GoPro videos are getting better every time! Great sequence of Adrien, shots of your smooth wave turns (NICE), and tight editing to keep it short but SWEET!

Keep ‘em coming, thanks.

You're welcome Brian! Always appreciate people saying thank you.

Michael wrote:Super fun day! Great watching Adrien throw down and sharing the stoke! Nice wind and waves and lots of happy sailors! Fun wrapping front side Eurostyle, as Adrien would say. Almost stuck a backie, move back hand back and stay tucked in :D Happy New Year to everyone!

+1 for well done M (video and back loop)! 8-)

On the back loop, here is what I see for what it is worth:

Good
  • spoting your landing
  • landing downwind
  • extending back leg

Opportunities
  • land nose first, "to break the surface tension", as Levi Siver says (not so flat - flat landing also likely contributed to overloading the sail)
  • keep sail oversheeted until you have touched down (looks like it opens up, loads up and then explodes out of your hands)
  • more up-down path in the air would likely help depower the sail at apex

Really nice to see your progress and its motivating me to work on spotting the landings too. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
C36

by C36 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:44 pm

M: Here is the video I mentioned (by Martin Ten Hoeve of Black Team Academy, not the more often viewed one by Adam Lewis).

C36

PreviousNext

Return to Weather Talk and OSR