Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

NW Sunday ???

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by Mike » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:03 am

Alton wrote:
Mike wrote:Paying the dues - 3 skunks in a row!

Condolences. Well at least it's been a good December. 7 sessions for me. Mostly on 7m.

:twisted:

:D
Mike

by Alton » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:17 am

It's finally tanking!!! Good excuse to stay cozy warm :D

Anyway, I'm not a fan of mowing the lawn at the Tsawwassen Ferry Terminal.

Tsawwassen_Sun_Dec_30.png
Tsawwassen_Sun_Dec_30.png (54.77 KiB) Viewed 4555 times
Alton

by ShonanDB » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:48 am

Mike wrote:Paying the dues - 3 skunks in a row!

Almost abandoned the effort as was 1 degree in Maple Ridge. Frost to scrap from windshield and fog. Not going would have been the right choice for the wrong reason. Arrive at terminal to 7 degrees. Felt warm - not good as windchill on NW is usually cold. Not much wind. It's been years since my last session on N side of terminal. I should have paid more attention to the launch on my last pointless trip here a last week. Very steep rip rap to water. Option was a few hundred meter trek to a "spit". There was wind but SW direction made the terminal interfering with the wind (wind shadow/streaky wind). On my first walk out the spit it look weak - though wind clearly out in the straight. Back to car ready to leave when car started shaking. Now it was 4.5 or 5.3? Second walk to spit. Maybe 5.3 - water was light chop, wind seemed streaky. Back at car wind was light again. I probably could have made a go of it but it didn't seem worth it.

On the way back, the kite launch on the south side looked very appealing (logs up on the beach where the belong - vs high tide). However, didn't bring kite gear as did not want to be tempted to off shore wind on a "wind fail" forecast.

Lesson - forget N side of terminal in these conditions to windsurf and go to Point Roberts.

Mood - good. The sunrise and clear skies were beautiful :D

Mike, Garry Point Park would have been good this morning. Sand Heads was solid and tide is not really a factor there other than current strength. Was planning to go but got side tracked this morning and lost my window of opportunity. Was 26 gusting over 30 knots all morning until the 10 am reading (maybe dropped off now), so at least 3 hours of small gear fun :)
ShonanDB

by C36 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:12 pm

Adam2/Mike: Thanks for the OSR’s. Especially, the non-event OSR’s (tough job as it’s more fun to share good news). It’s always good to know what did or didn’t happen.
C36

Previous

Return to Weather Talk and OSR