Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Howe Sound Outflow Sat

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by imdmitry » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:55 pm

Is it going to happen? The forecast is looking good 25-35kn outflow.
Where will be better place to launch Porteau cove or Furry creek?


https://weather.gc.ca/marine/forecast_e ... teID=06400
imdmitry
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:14 am

by ShonanDB » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:05 am

Check the Pam Rock sensor at midnight tonight and then again at 6am. If it's mid 30 knot range then it's a go. Furry Creek tends to be windier than Porteau Cove.
User avatar
ShonanDB
 
Posts: 433
Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:52 pm

by bandito » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:24 pm

Where is best spot to launch a kite at furry creek??
bandito
 
Posts: 617
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:09 pm

by imdmitry » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:59 pm

Pam Rock was 30 gusting to 40kn around 5am. Decided to go.
Arrived around 7:30. Sailed from 8 to 10am.
5 windsurfers, at a time we were packing saw 10 kiters doing downwinder. Probably from Nexen to Porteau Cove.

That wasn't the best session, but nice to try different spot. Sailed 4.7 and 85L. Wind wasn't enough close to beach and too much in a middle.
imdmitry
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:14 am

by imdmitry » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:03 pm

bandito wrote:Where is best spot to launch a kite at furry creek??


Haven't seen good kiting launch there.
Not too much space and trees are very close. Doable with assistant launch or drift launch.
imdmitry
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:14 am

by ShonanDB » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:34 pm

Strange session this morning at Furry Creek. Felt like I was sailing in a small lake as the wind would shift directions and come at you from a different angle for a few minutes then switch again. Sailed straight up the middle of the Sound towards Squamish at times, then across it other times. It was a point fest most of the time as well as I seemed to always be downwind of the launch no matter how much I pinched up wind. It is usually gusty but nothing like today - one minute you wouldn't have enough wind to waterstart and the next your sail was getting ripped out of your hands. One lull lasted 3 or 4 minutes where I thought the wind had shut down and I was a few hundred meters from the far side. Glad I took out the 101L but as Dimitre said, the 4.7 was either too small or too much sail 75% of the time. No rolling swell to speak of today just gust stirred chop to launch from but they were close together so everything took a pounding.
I arrived shortly after 7am and was joined by Dimitre and Ivan and 2 other guys who have condos there. Finished up around 10:30 and stopped by Porteau Cove as the wind looked to have filled in better there and there was one windsurfer just launching. Looked a little less gusty and about 10 knots less than at Furry Creek but looked decent. Some rolling swell was coming through there.
I think the Kiters had the right idea to do a downwinder today as it was warm but with the lulls, it could have been a challenge at times.
User avatar
ShonanDB
 
Posts: 433
Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:52 pm

by bandito » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:28 pm

was at spit in morning and it was shifty jerky, I didn't kite.driving back late morning, inotice as the wind back off a lot that there was more wind at Porteau cove then Fury creek , maybe it was a bit better there in general and more kiter friendly. Windsurfers at fury Creek thought that it was gusting over 40 knots mid channel.
bandito
 
Posts: 617
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:09 pm

by gabrielb » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:01 am

D, unpredictable wind, long forecast calls for a milder winter ... things may be different than the last 3 cold winters. I would use a floaty for a while.
gabrielb
 
Posts: 1669
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:13 am

by ShonanDB » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:39 pm

gabrielb wrote:D, unpredictable wind, long forecast calls for a milder winter ... things may be different than the last 3 cold winters. I would use a floaty for a while.


Yes, a lot of changes happening but a key point is that I haven't noticed Outflows this early before as I usually chase them at the end of December through to March. There may have always been Outflows this time of year but I was too busy sailing somewhere locally and didn't notice. This year there hasn't been many days over 18 knots except Squamish.

Looks like Columbia Beach downgraded today as well. I hope everyone who went brought their big gear.
User avatar
ShonanDB
 
Posts: 433
Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:52 pm

by grantmac » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:32 pm

5.3/85L at CB. Started with 6.3/106L just after noon but quickly rigged down then traded boards.

Not much breaking until 3ish but even still small stuff. Good day to jump.
grantmac
 
Posts: 223
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:53 pm

Next

Return to Weather Talk and OSR