Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Windguru. GFS, HRW, or ICON?

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by mjamero » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:09 am

Which forecast should you look at on Windguru? What's the difference between GFS, HRW, and ICON? Jericho for example has 3 different forecast models. They are often wildly different from each other.

https://www.windguru.cz/3610
mjamero

by Slappy » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:02 pm

I go off a mix of TAF and EC myself.

Keep in mind that TAF is for YVR but it's very indicative of what will happen at Jericho. Especially if the wind in the Straight will make it in to Jericho or not.

Then I look at the weather, sunshine generates a bit of a thermal towards downtown as the lack of greenery heats way up.

Then I also look at the gradient between Van -> Abbottsford as that generates a bit of a thermal.
Slappy

by mjamero » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:20 pm

I'm specifically wondering how best to decipher Windguru and it's different models.

Thank for the tips though Slappy. You are certainly a forecast master around here!
mjamero

by mjamero » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:47 am

mjamero

by keeldude » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:17 am

I can't seem to make much sense of WindGuru (GFS27km or ICON--HRW doesn't show up on the free version anymore) especially this time of year. One thing I can add however, is that there are lots of user submitted spots on there which may be the correct location but the user forgot to indicated the right time zone. You can check this by looking at the sunrise/sunset which should tell you if the time zone is correct. I figure its probably worth a look anyway for major trends, but as the day gets closer (1 or possibly 2 days out) check things like TAF, Raspwind, Windy.com to try to get a better picture.
keeldude

by ShonanDB » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:03 am

I find Windguru is fairly accurate for E, SE, S, and SW winds but not reliable for NW or W winds.

I check Big Wave Dave, G-Spot, RASP, and Strait of Georgia links for NE, NW, and W winds.

For long term forecasts WindyTV, iWindsurf or iKite sites are good for planning but I switch to the other sites listed above when the target dates get close.

Then of course, the sensors on the day - Halibut Bank, Sand Heads, Tsawwassen, Saturna, Jericho, YVR, CZBB, Pam Rocks, etc.
ShonanDB

by mjamero » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:09 pm

ShonanDB wrote:I find Windguru is fairly accurate for E, SE, S, and SW winds but not reliable for NW or W winds.

I've noticed that too. WG could be calling for NW when it's is actually SW and visa versa. 90 degrees difference is a lot.
mjamero

Return to Weather Talk and OSR