Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

windy wednesday

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by lucas » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:10 pm

Wed 8am E 15g25
Wed 9am-11am ESE 20g35
Wed 3pm-5pm ESE 12g22

TAF forcast looks good for tomorrow, on shore at BB. Any good easterly sailing locations?
I will be chasing it, likely at 3rd. Hope the forecast doesn't back off till later in the day like it did today, I only have a short window in the morning :roll:
lucas

by Alton » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:16 pm

Might actually turn out to be SE
Alton

by Michael » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:55 am

Alton wrote:Might actually turn out to be SE

Looks good!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-04-11 at 8.55.11 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-04-11 at 8.55.11 AM.png (378.19 KiB) Viewed 16287 times
Michael

by Alton » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:21 pm

Fun 2 hr wave session at 3rd Ave on 7m+surfboard. Waves were only knee high but found some nice waist high waves way outside towards the mile marker.

Big turn out (over 20 kiters and 3 windsurfers) for a work day.

Boundary_Bay_Wed_Apr_11.gif
Boundary_Bay_Wed_Apr_11.gif (20.34 KiB) Viewed 16224 times
Alton

by Brian C » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:22 pm

...and us 3 morning windsurfers had a good time too! As Alton said, the waves were a bit smaller than last Saturday, even though the wind was better. I enjoyed 4.5/95 litres from 945 - noon. The wind seemed to be best off 3rd Ave and only out to the second bank. It softened beyond there, which limited the swell-riding opportunities, but playing in the breaking waves was fun.
Several other windsurfers were hitting the water when I left, and it looked like it was ramping up at about 1230.

Checked out Lighthouse Park in Point Roberts for lunch. Darrell looked fully powered on his 4.7 (?) and the waves looked really good right up to the shore. The ESE wind direction was a bit offshore so I could see why the place could be risky if the wind drops while the tide/current is outgoing. Looked better than Centennial today though.
Brian C

by ShonanDB » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:29 pm

Brian C wrote:...
Checked out Lighthouse Park in Point Roberts for lunch. Darrell looked fully powered on his 4.7 (?) and the waves looked really good right up to the shore. The ESE wind direction was a bit offshore so I could see why the place could be risky if the wind drops while the tide/current is outgoing. Looked better than Centennial today though.

Was that you yelling at me from shore Brian? I couldn't see well and I wanted to get past the shore break before getting crunched.
LHP was fun with the rollers on the outside and nice clean faces wrapping around the point.
Darrell
ShonanDB

by Brian C » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:21 pm

Wasn’t me Darrell. I was admiring your sailing from the warmth of my van, while I ate lunch. Nice job out there today.
I wouldn’t mind trying the place one day when you are there. I gather that you have to careful about the current, so some insider experience would be helpful. The waves looke really good today.
Brian C

by Michael » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:51 pm

Long day. Flat water and up and down wind to start. It finally kicked in later, but the waves didn't really get very nice. I can't believe how much that place changes with a slight difference in wind direction. I was able to take out the 80L UltraKode for a test drive though, that thing is soooo light, thanks Adrien! I managed to find a break way outside to play on but I got spooked when the wind lightened up and came in. Hopefully I can get another session in on it and try the tri-fin set up. :D
Michael

by nicolas » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:06 pm

First session of 2018 for me. As Michael said, the wind direction ESE was probably not ideal for the waves but it was nice to see the windsurfing gang again after all this time :D . Was up and down for the first hour and a half and then it cranked.Was way overpowered in the end on my 4.8, could barely hold on the sail and the gybes were more hero gybes than anything. AG nailed a powerful forward as I was coming in when it started cranking, that's impressive Man you're killing it! He looked like a Man on a mission and that was no bird watching at all!!
Dave showed up and was served a nice "afternoon tea" with the best wind for him.
We all knew he would showed up sooner or later, could not miss this action :D
See you guys next time unfortunately won't be able to make it this friday as there might be more wind according to windguru and again it looks like the best would be around 2pm.
nicolas

by C36 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:21 pm

Chunky. Arrived for the afternoon shift to find sailors on the water stop-starting on what looked like pretty flat shallow water mid-tide conditions at Centennial. Chatted with AG for a bit and then the wind kicked in. AG scrambled to get back out on the water. Simon and M both came in for smaller boards. Solid (even overpowered at first) on 4.5/92. Some swell but it seemed to have taken on the twitchy mood of the wind and stayed 'chunky' for the most part. Some ramps and some rides but you really had to hunt for them. M tested a demo Kode and said I choose I good time to come. Mittens (AG) thew a couple nice forwards (lots of height and good rotation from what I saw given the modest size of the ramps). Then the morning shift thinned out and it was just me. Played for a while then called it around 4 pm when the wind turned into patchy rain squalls and the water flattened. The mood of wind and chilly air temp felt like there was some East in the wind, even though the graph shows SE. Gold star to WG GFS for calling the second wave of wind.

Gallery (better for mobile devices)
Slideshow
Last edited by C36 on Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C36

Next

Return to Weather Talk and OSR