Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

SE Sedin Saturday

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by Slappy » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:24 am

Just saw a lightning strike. Might not be the best day to fly a kite :(
Slappy

by Adrian L » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:43 am

dam-it! Well, adding insult to injury; web cam Cabarete looks great! blue skies, windy, sandy beach...
mojitos... time to vacay from this joint lol
Adrian L

by dan.e » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:02 pm

howling 30 knots, beach is unusually quiet at our flat water spot on a stormy day. Just my mate and a few odd straglers. Notice after I jump and land I get this sharp pain in my leg. Seems to be happening more often. Pass by my mate and yell at him, he's got the same thing happening....

quickest pack down of our lives.
dan.e

by Alton » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:16 pm

Slappy wrote:Just saw a lightning strike. Might not be the best day to fly a kite :(

dan.e wrote:howling 30 knots, beach is unusually quiet at our flat water spot on a stormy day. Just my mate and a few odd straglers. Notice after I jump and land I get this sharp pain in my leg. Seems to be happening more often. Pass by my mate and yell at him, he's got the same thing happening....

EC Vancouver wrote:Image
Showers with risk of a thunderstorm. Amount 20 to 30 mm. Wind southeast 50 km/h gusting to 80. High 12.
Alton

by mparkes » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:32 pm

dan.e wrote:howling 30 knots, beach is unusually quiet at our flat water spot on a stormy day. Just my mate and a few odd straglers. Notice after I jump and land I get this sharp pain in my leg. Seems to be happening more often. Pass by my mate and yell at him, he's got the same thing happening....

Where were you kiting?
mparkes

by Slappy » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:32 pm

dan.e wrote:Notice after I jump and land I get this sharp pain in my leg. Seems to be happening more often. Pass by my mate and yell at him, he's got the same thing happening....

where was this? What was the pain in your leg?

There was only one lightining strike in the area so far according to lightining maps and it was over land in Burnaby (the one I saw).
Slappy

by dan.e » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:37 pm

Slappy wrote:
dan.e wrote:Notice after I jump and land I get this sharp pain in my leg. Seems to be happening more often. Pass by my mate and yell at him, he's got the same thing happening....

where was this? What was the pain in your leg?

There was only one lightining strike in the area so far according to lightining maps and it was over land in Burnaby (the one I saw).

This was in western Australia:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQpmTnVzLEM Woodie's point.

There were a lot of clouds that day.... have to admit, it was probably one the best days, the beach is rarely that empty! I just remember it being a zap in my legs, not painful but noticeable, possibly building potential energy in the air, grounding it when I touched the water?

Both of us were having it.
dan.e

by Faceplant » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:42 pm

Great to get out! Awesome turnout. Solid conditions, bit of a guessing game of what size kite to go with, but in the end it a couple of hours on the water fully powered. Nice waves out there. I might need to get a surf kite, cuz some of those waves were jacking up nicely!
Faceplant

by Alton » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:07 pm

Sweet 2 hr wave session on 7m+surfboard. Fun riding waist high breaking waves - my favorite when tide is low.

Boundary_Bay_Sat_Apr_7.gif
Boundary_Bay_Sat_Apr_7.gif (30.04 KiB) Viewed 13292 times
Alton

by Brian C » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:35 pm

It was a bit of a sail-size gamble with the low tide (long walk, even at the boat ramp) and variable wind. I chose 5.0/95litre, which was too small in the 330pm lull but really good from 400-500pm. Like Alton said, those waist high breakers were really fun, even pole-surfing! Nice treat sailing Boundary Bay on a balmy 13C day too!
Brian C

PreviousNext

Return to Weather Talk and OSR