Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

SE Sedin Saturday

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by tweegster » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:35 pm

White rock had 15 or so folks, wind and chop reminded me why I normally drive to third or locust for SE. 12g32 with wind up and down two or three times on each tack. Murder chop was a good angle for boosting off so we all had fun, some hard landings when wind would evaporate.

Shawn had the highest jump I have seen in WR, KOTA submission worthy.

First day no gloves without regret. Out from 1-6ish.

:mrgreen:
tweegster

by Roxstock » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:07 am

Faceplant wrote:Great to get out! Awesome turnout. Solid conditions, bit of a guessing game of what size kite to go with, but in the end it a couple of hours on the water fully powered. Nice waves out there. I might need to get a surf kite, cuz some of those waves were jacking up nicely!

Would you be interested in swapping your rebels with my pivots?
Roxstock

by bandito » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:20 am

Roxstock wrote:
Faceplant wrote:Great to get out! Awesome turnout. Solid conditions, bit of a guessing game of what size kite to go with, but in the end it a couple of hours on the water fully powered. Nice waves out there. I might need to get a surf kite, cuz some of those waves were jacking up nicely!

Would you be interested in swapping your rebels with my pivots?

i swap a 7m envy for a 7m rebel anytimes lol still have a lightly use 7m 2013 envy for sale barely use, good Low end, will pull a big ass no prob!
bandito

by Michael » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:42 am

Nice welcome home session! After finally waking up from my Air Canada coma, the 14 hour flight from Brisbane was not fun, especially having a family who's 3 kids all suffered from really bad air sickness, "excuse me but do you have any extra barf bags", right in front of me, I finally made my way to the beach. After waiting around and catching up with Adrien, Dave and Massimo for a hour the wind finally came back in. Rigged 5.3 110L but before I left the beach was re rigging to 4.7 80L, after a long walk to the water and one reach the wind dropped. It came back up at a few times and I was able to get a few nice runs in but ended up way out by Centennial when it just shut off. Everyone else had made it in and I was faced with a long walk after slogging and swimming to where it was shallow enough to stand. I was just thinking I wish I had enough wind to slog back to the beach when a gust came in. Then bang it was on! 30 knots for a few reaches and it was sweet, low tide waves pumping and then 40 knots and wishing I had the 3.7. A few reaches by myself then Adrien joined me and then Dave was back on the water too. Fun waves and lots of stoke for the 3 of us and one remaining kiter. Sailed until almost dark and my body was saying enough already, big smiles from Dave in the parking lot! :D It's good to be back, just wish I could have brought the warm blue water and cyclone powered waves with me.
Michael

by ShonanDB » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:51 am

Welcome back M! With yesterday's low tide, headed to Point Roberts and arrived around 4pm. Checked out GB's beach, Light House Park, and drove over to Maple Beach to see how it looked and decided to launch from Lighthouse Park. Decent waist high sets were breaking right at the point but the wind was up and down. Rigged my 5.3 but by the time I got my wetsuit on it had stepped up so I re-rigged my 4.7 and headed out on my 101L around 4:20. Well powered for the first 30 mins but then it stepped up again and I needed to rig down. The rollers off the point were waist to chest high with a few bigger sets and some would square up so you could jump on both Port and Starboard runs. Coming in just off the point was sweet as the waves started to form and you could gybe and ride a bit before heading back out. Nice smooth troughs on the outside for hero gybes and no problem pushing up wind. Came in and started rigging my 3.7 and got the 73L out but the wind backed a bit so I switched to my 4.2 and took out the 101L just in case and I'm glad I did as it continued to drop. Got a few planing runs but then it dropped to about 15 knots so I came in. Waited for about 30 mins and then you could see it starting to fill in again but just not enough to commit to heading back out so I packed up. Just as I finished and was about to drive off, it kicked in again and was blowing 30 knots. The waves quickly built and it looked really good but it was starting to get dark. Stopped by GB's beach and saw GB and 2 longboarders on the water before stopping for gas and heading home. It was US$0.99 a litre (~CAN$1.29) at most gas stations in PR. Not epic but it was nice to get out!
ShonanDB

by C36 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:30 am

Locust Beach (2018 April 7)

Hedge. Planned on catching the 6:15 sailing bound for CB but bailed when the 5 am actuals looked really light. Headed south to Locust as a hedge on the variable late day forecast for CNL. Arrived to walk through the 'clear cut' to find warm temps, solid wind and ebbing tide creating slightly steeper than average chop. Took to the water on a well powered 4.5/92 for a nice warm-up session. After about an hour the wind increased to the point where it was more punishment than pleasure and it was time to rig down or head for Centennial - decided to head to Centennial (for the wind swell) as the water was being blown flat.

Pre-Session OSR
Gallery (better for mobile devices)
Sildeshow

Centennial (2018 April 7)

Determined. Graph ramped up to gusting 30 mph while on route. Arrived find Michael looking a little blurry-eyed from his 7 am arrived from his return trip from Oz and to see 33 kites out and a local neighbour saying the bay was “full”.

But the wind looked to have backed to something closer to gusting 25 mph. AG and Massimo walking in confirmed this. Wind rebounded and Richard, Brian C and Brad were all getting rides on bigish gear.

I was torn between rigging for what I saw and sensing there was more to come. This is when I got out of sync with the wind. Long walk out with big gear (5.3/115) just in time for the first pulse of heavy wind (too much). Long walk back and out for smaller gear (4.5/92) just in time for it to go all funky and patchy. Repeated two more times until the wind amped up for good and got solid for the twilight session. I was determined I was going to sample the wind swell on offer (for more than 10 minutes). AG ate his mis-session chile. And then there were three - AG, Michael and me. AG went in to catch a ride home and was replaced by Colin (who had his clothes on and was heading home when he saw it kick and came back out – good call). The swell started to roll on the edge of the second bank and there were some big smoothes (if you had enough nerve to turn off the wind with fully loaded rig – some rewards/some rag dolls). Frustrating start and solid finish. Fun ‘welcome home party’ for Michael.

Gallery (better for mobile devices)
Sildeshow
C36

by Slappy » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:37 pm

Fun day but not an easy day of sailing with both up and down wind and gusty wind too.
Slappy

Previous

Return to Weather Talk and OSR