Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Turn on

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by morrison » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:24 am

the wind was more punchy then the graph indicates.
ok for early season, almost as much fun as laughing.
note: much broken glass and garbage has appeared at nexen.
morrison

by max.spock » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:04 pm

the wind was more punchy then the graph indicates.
ok for early season

good to know! It might be that the terminal sensor is not as sensitive to gusts as the one at the spit..

much broken glass and garbage has appeared at nexen

We might need more volunteers this season to clean it up..

Let's look at the positive side, the season is "unofficially" open!
max.spock

by Slappy » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:36 pm

morrison wrote:the wind was more punchy then the graph indicates.
... at nexen.

Why sail from Nexen over the spit? These early season thermals are always so west that I'd image the wind coming over the terminal would be pretty swirly once it hit Nexen.
Slappy

by morrison » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:16 pm

GetAttachment.aspx.jpeg
GetAttachment.aspx.jpeg (38.65 KiB) Viewed 12991 times
Slappy wrote:
morrison wrote:the wind was more punchy then the graph indicates.
... at nexen.

Why sail from Nexen over the spit? These early season thermals are always so west that I'd image the wind coming over the terminal would be pretty swirly once it hit Nexen.

Nice try , but not what I said.
The wind was punchy across the sound.
And yes the terminal buildings and ships drastically influence
the wind out of nexen and I don't reccomend the place, but if you go there be careful of broken glass below the surface.
morrison

by Adrian L » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:25 pm

China creek was thumpin this afternoon here on the island. Feels good seeing things turn on a bit over here too. Dreaming of Nitinat and Nimpkish days to come back around this summer.
Though I'm still banned from watersports and driving a lil' while longer; tomorrow we're going to check out the new launch at china creek I heard much about. Supposed to be quite good. should be good knowledge for when i am released back to doing what could now kill me... lol Windsurfing. :D stoked too BTW reading about la vantana trips byron bay etc... right on! next winter i gotta bail to ozz with my entourage 8-) now go get some! cheers!
Adrian L

by Adrian L » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:50 pm

Checked out China creek in the alberni inlet. Looks great for a "new" to me, local PA spot.
From our cabin on sprout lake i used to bomb to nitinat for day trips. This is no longer necessary place is close, works later in the day, but same system as nitinat. Should be a rad little freestyle launch which delivers the dayly windmachine doseage...
Adrian L

by Brian C » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:56 pm

Great to see the revival of China Cr as a windsport place. Back in the 90s it was very popular for windsurfing, then Nitinat took over.
Better amenities and easier drive than Nitinat. The wind is almost as reliable but generally a sail size weaker than Nitinat. A great spot if you happen to be mid-island in the summer or if you have a boat and want to combine fishing and sailing in one trip.
Brian C

by Brian C » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:43 pm

Ps - just drove home from Whistler. At 5pm it looked like 5.0 conditions at Squamish and good for kiting or foiling at Porteau.
Brian C

Previous

Return to Weather Talk and OSR