Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Monday SE

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by Alton » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:01 pm

OSR from Michael wrote:Play to listen.
Alton

by Alton » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:11 pm

Not the greatest session. Started early with Mike on 9m. Wind wave angle made for some tricky riding - got knocked off some waves. Became a handful on 9m so switched to 7m. Weird wind shear / gradient - 7m back stalled flying low but super powered flying high - consequently outrunning my kite when gybing and got yarded waterstarting. Had enough after 2 hrs so landed at Centennial with a walk of shame.

Anyway, still scored some nice wave rides and a good pre-work workout.

Boundary_Bay_Mon_Jan_29.gif
Boundary_Bay_Mon_Jan_29.gif (24.42 KiB) Viewed 13673 times
Alton

by Michael » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:20 pm

Alton wrote:Not the greatest session.
:D
I almost didn't go then out of nowhere Richard is standing next to my van wetsuit on and ready to rig. He's like, lets go what do you have to lose! Who can argue with that. I still waited for him to rig and test the waters but I joined him soon after as he was planing on his 5.3 86L. I took out the 102 and 5.3. At first I thought I had made a mistake slogging around it looked like the wind had died. Thankfully it picked up a bit and that kept me going. After a few reaches I was on the beach warming the hands ( no gloves today ) and I look up to see about 10 people walking towards me, one of which was a park warden. I was thinking I'd done something very wrong when I looked down next to me and there was a rather large dead fish. After a better look a realized it was a shark. Turns out it was a 6 gill shark and they had come to take pictures and grab a few teeth while they were at it. That was the highlight of the day. As I was launching the park warden says to me "hey is that Kiter OK?" I could see he wasn't so went to check on him. He had already ditched the kite and was swimming back to shore when another kiter arrived and picked him up. Looked like a lot of kiters were struggling today and I'm not surprised as the wind was sketchy at times. After the shark sitting the wind cranked up and I was over powered. On one reach though it looked like there was no wind at all. The water was glassy and it was pouring rain but the weird thing was I was still lit. After that I called it a day as it was slowly tanking and it got really choppy. Noticed Richard was coming in just as I was leaving the parking lot.
Last edited by Michael on Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael

by Alton » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:56 pm

Michael wrote:Turns out it was a 6 gill shark and they had come to take pictures and grab a few teeth while they were at it. That was the highlight of the day.

So that's why all the sirens were blaring :shock:

Alton

by grantmac » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:30 pm

The teeth should give them an age. Something that is hard to determine on a live six gill (if you can find one). They can live several centuries.
grantmac

by Michael » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:31 am

grantmac wrote:The teeth should give them an age. Something that is hard to determine on a live six gill (if you can find one). They can live several centuries.

Interesting, thanks for the info, it was a very cool looking shark!
Michael

by LeopardSkin » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:18 am

Were you able to get any nice cuts of meat out of it.
LeopardSkin

by C36 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:26 am

grantmac wrote:The teeth should give them an age. Something that is hard to determine on a live six gill (if you can find one). They can live several centuries.

Michael wrote:Interesting, thanks for the info, it was a very cool looking shark!

M: How big was the one you saw?

Things I take comfort in from the video.
  • Filmed in Desolation Sound (I don't sail there).
  • They are at a depth of 150 m (I don't usually sail at that depth).
  • The quote [extremely excited]: "I've done thousands of dives all over the world and that is the first time I have seen a six gill!" (unlikely to see one myself).

The downside of the video is the visual of the sharks biting into the bait bag made out of blue jeans. :shock:
C36

by AdrienGrelon » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:02 pm

Really, Michael? I go all the way to WA, don't see a single shark, and you find one washed up at Boundary Bay on an average weekday? :lol:

Glad you got something, though. I figured the wind might've picked up again (later than the forecast advertised), as the trees were moving well on the North Shore when I left work.

C36 wrote:[*]They are at a depth of 150 m (I don't usually sail at that depth).

:lol:
AdrienGrelon

by Michael » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:50 pm

C36 wrote:M: How big was the one you saw?
It must have been around 5 feet, not that big but it's mouth was wide open and it could easily take a nice chunk out of your leg. :o

AdrienGrelon wrote:Really, Michael? I go all the way to WA, don't see a single shark, and you find one washed up at Boundary Bay on an average weekday?

Probably a good thing you didn't see one there. My first trip to Australia, when I was 12, 2 days before we arrived a 25' Great White had washed up on the beach. The same beach where we spent our entire holiday swimming. My Uncle of course kept the news paper article to show us, I was terrified the whole time.

LeopardSkin wrote:Were you able to get any nice cuts of meat out of it.

Ya Tony, I carved it up right there and had some shark Poke, sorry you missed out.
Michael

Next

Return to Weather Talk and OSR