Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Tuesday SE

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by Ryan » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:45 pm

Jen and I had a late afternoon session at Point Roberts. Logo high rolling swell and good rideable waves on the inside east of lighthouse park.
The penalty for being greedy was getting pounded onto the shore, getting back out was hard. 3.7 and 4.0 over powered.
Ryan

by gabrielb » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:23 pm

All that area works under 13 ft tide . You were at 14 ft . Good waves, but you need 10 ft tide otherwise too close to beach and trapped on the inside, swell ramps up but breaks 20 meters from pebble beach. You have to be fast too waterstarts, as sets are close together... i don’t windsurf there but know the breaks that work there. There is a sweet break , too far for surfing, 100 m ride good for wavesailing etc. But planing will miss it.
Next time take 15 minutes at that cove look at the whole beach you ll see the breaks.
gabrielb

by Adrian L » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:40 pm

Second day in a row! Nice work dudes! Wish i could have bailed on work today to join ya... ah well feel like a truck has run me down after yesterday anyway...
cheers
Adrian L

by C36 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:22 pm

Loaded. Early start. Flood tide. Wind shadow along the beach early on. Solid wind out over the first bank and beyond. Lots of ramps and wind swell. Wind was steadier than yesterday but it did amp (brief stint on 3.4/74), lulled (put it back) and rebounded. Followed M and did downwinder to Centennial then sailed back up to the boat ramp (fully loaded). More memorable rides than yesterday. Fun.

Gallery (better for mobile devices)
Slideshow

Unfortunately there were also two guys out there today who really need to rethink the position (risk) they are putting others in:

Sailor 1: No look turn into an upwind sliding transition straight into the wave face I was on and then exited into my direction.
NOT cool, NOT safe and definitely NOT appreciated! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Everyone should use shoulder checks - both driving on the road and while sailing.

Sailor 2: Swooping down from two waves above, placing me under their lines and then dropping in on the wave face I was on (so close it felt like I could touch them).
NOT cool, NOT safe and definitely NOT appreciated! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
You should never sail your lines over another person. Stay clear of downwind sailors - they have right-of-way.

END OF RANT
C36

by Ryan » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:04 pm

Thanks old Adrian. Point Roberts was fun, I usually go there when It's east and boring at Centennial. We went today because I had to pick up some sails.

Gabriel, thanks for the tips. By greedy I mean going for more turns than I know I should. Three turns fine, four turns hit the beach.
Ryan

by AdrienGrelon » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:07 pm

That first picture is worthy of print, C36!

Let me give Ozy a quick call about those hooligans. I hear he's on the mainland these days..
AdrienGrelon

by gabrielb » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:14 pm

C36, went through the same 10 years ago while surfing. In the 90's was different. Now I stay away from crowds,( people you know a hand gesture and they understand), bizarre behaviour I've seen. I just don't share info, and keep distance, unfixable & zombielike , I thought that way of being would not spill into windsports, you may see some more... :shock:
gabrielb

by john m » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:43 pm

Thanks for the photos David :D
john m

by Michael » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:48 pm

C36 wrote:Image

Amazing shot Dave, the lighting is unreal.

C36 wrote:Unfortunately there were also two guys out there today who really need to rethink the position (risk) they are putting others in:

Sorry to hear that Dave, I also had a few close encounters today.
Michael

by Roxstock » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:19 pm

Just sorted out my lines after my self rescue only to find one broken, that’s why I couldn’t relaunch the kite. 2 broken sets in 2 days, not good! That’s an expensive couple of sessions.
Roxstock

PreviousNext

Return to Weather Talk and OSR