Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Sunday Howe Sound - Porteau Cove?

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by imdmitry » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:38 pm

There is a outflow 20-30 on Sunday.
Is it worth checking? Where will be better place to launch Lions Bay, Porteau Cove or Spit?

http://weather.gc.ca/marine/forecast_e. ... teID=06400
imdmitry

by bandito » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:04 pm

Iast time I kited an outflow at the spit, it was very punchy and extreme lull to gust( like 12 gusting like 35), was mot fun. I heard it is often a tuff play on outflows there. im wondering if theres a decent outflow sunday it may mean NW in Vancouver/tsawassen .

noaa forecast NE in Bellingham sunday but don't know hows that down the bay with tide n wind direction n launch...I heard Hunter beach if not low tide and sunny.
bandito

by ShonanDB » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:40 am

imdmitry wrote:There is a outflow 20-30 on Sunday.
Is it worth checking? Where will be better place to launch Lions Bay, Porteau Cove or Spit?

Furry Creek out in front of Oliver's Landing is usually good and fairly consistent on an outflow. Have only windsurfed there so not sure if it would be conducive to Kiting as there are a lot of trees at the river bank and water right to the tree line at high tide. Check the Pam Rock sensor for actuals to make sure it's windy. This morning shows 16-25.
DB
ShonanDB

by C36 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:03 am

imdmitry wrote:There is a outflow 20-30 on Sunday.

ShonanDB wrote:Furry Creek out in front of Oliver's Landing is usually good and fairly consistent on an outflow. Have only windsurfed there so not sure if it would be conducive to Kiting as there are a lot of trees at the river bank and water right to the tree line at high tide. Check the Pam Rock sensor for actuals to make sure it's windy. This morning shows 16-25.
DB

My sense is there would be no way to launch a kite safely at Furry Creek unless all the stars lined up perfectly - super low tide, NW wind, etc, etc (even drift launching would be sketchy). My guess is I have only launched windsurfing gear there one in every three times I have gone to check out the conditions. The combination of limited beach, hazards (trees, island, logs, etc), tide/current, side-off wind (NE), wind line, diminishing wind (typically a morning spot), would make it even trickier to launch/land a kite. The other consideration is stronger outflows usually happen in the colder months and both air and water temps are colder, so there is more risk of hypothermia and hardly any pleasure boat traffic around to wave down for assistance, if needed. Sail safe!
C36

by imdmitry » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:43 am

Thanks for replies.
It's good to know more details.
Last year on a way to Whistler I saw good whitecaps. It was looking very good but outside was freezing. Adrien was sailing that day :)
imdmitry

by Slappy » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:38 am

If you wanted to kite outflows I would imagine drift or assisted launch at Porteau Cove Provincial Park (300m south of the boat ramp).

It's rocky but shallow for a ways out
Slappy

by adam2 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:15 pm

I used to windsurf Porteau occasionally on inflow and outflows, it could get really good and it's probably one of the nicest spots I ever sailed. It was especially good on strong inflows where it was blown out mogul garbage in Squamish. I recall a windline on both directions. If I was going to kite the place I'd be inclined to do it on a full low tide where the sand is exposed for launching and landing. I also recall thinking how shitty it would be to break down out there and have to come in a few hundred yards downwind on either wind direction. It would suck even worse kiting, similar to Bozo Beach across from the Event Site in HR.
adam2

Return to Weather Talk and OSR