Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Wednesday SE

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by bandito » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:19 pm

maybe ferry and white rock NOW, West on graph
bandito

by grantmac » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:19 pm

Had a brief overpowered session down here in Bayview with 4.2/106L then got blown off the water and did some nose damage.
Went home for my 3.7 and 80L but once I hit the water I knew it was too much as well. Currently waiting to see if it'll moderate a little without completely dying.
grantmac

by 8mdude » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:27 pm

Not bad -- though a little too much .. Just windsurfing with 3.4m and 68L board.

At around 2.30pm it dropped a little so inflated my kite then when about to go out was crazy again so no kiting for me -- too crazy
8mdude

by Alton » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:33 pm

Ditto ... like Bandito says.

Waited patiently for 7m conditions to kick in (too spooky to be caught overpowered on 9m). First hour was amazing (SSE 30). Waist to chest high breaking waves with glassy 30'-40' spacing between. Super fun nailing hit after hit. Second hour got spooky (SSE 35 g 40) with kite parked at 12 o'clock most of the time. Should have come in earlier but lucky for me Jerry landed me on a sandbar ... phew!!!

Very happy I made it out today ... even more happy I made it in :shock:

BoundaryBay_Wed_Oct_18.gif
BoundaryBay_Wed_Oct_18.gif (22.38 KiB) Viewed 13259 times
Alton

by Michael » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:58 pm

Epic, classic Centennial!! 4.7 was too much right from the start. Stuck with it for a while until it got crazy, came in and rigged 3.8. Couple of nice back loop attempts at the beginning but when it ramped up I couldn't stay connected with my gear! Some epic waves on the outside which surprised me with the incoming tide. The tide was strong today and when it really started to flood it was hard to stay up wind. Had a on the water chat with Dave and said I was getting tired and was going to pack it in after a few more reaches. Got to the outside and saw some big waves down at Centennial so I did a downwinder and enjoyed some real mackers! Wind seemed to pick up even more and I was way to tired to handle it so I sailed into Centennial and walked back up to the boat launch to get my van. It was nice to see a lot of windsurfers out today. Got to Centennial to de-rig and saw Mike and Brad, concurred with Mike that there were some nice waves outside of Centennial, glad someone else enjoyed them as well. Johnny and Craig showed up after doing a downwinder as well. Great day, hope we get some more tomorrow, a little less wind would be nice though, I can hardly move.
Last edited by Michael on Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael

by Faceplant » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:09 pm

I finally left work and drove to Locust. What an idiot!!!
Drove right by whiterock.
Locust was intense. Huge swell coming side on shore. Not enough beach to launch. Nobody there. Not enough time or daylight left for me to get to proper beach. Sounds like a great day for those who were able to attend.
Faceplant

by Roxstock » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:58 pm

I missed the party. Got to 3rd around 3:45, just cash and Rémi out. By the time I pumped my 9m both of them were dashing for shore as the wind tanked. Headed over to ferry terminal and it wasn’t any better there. Heavy tunnel traffic both ways made it that much worse.
Roxstock

by Dan » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:41 pm

Epic session from 12-2pm well powered on 7m with great waves. Went back in at 2:30pm for a short session but was to gusty by then. Overall great Day! Not many kiters for a day like this...
Dan

by C36 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:14 pm

Second thoughts. Arrived to find east wind (onshore) and flat water - ugh!! Was really regretting not heading over to CB, then wind spun and the water came alive. Leant a weed fin to a newcomer. Pulled on winter suit for the first time, but water was warm. Started with 4.5/92 and it was control sailing with Tsawwassen right from the start. Nice to see Daniel out windsurfing and throwing down moves as usual! Simon, Johnny, Niolas and RyanCR500 also joined in the fun. Wind kept ramping up to the point that it felt ridiculous to keep sailing so grabbed something much smaller (3.4/74). Waves over the bank were big enough to roll you at times. Followed Tsawwassen out into the deeper water past the edge of the second bank and was surprised by the size of the rolling swell - some were huge! The ebbing tide, south in the wind, gusts and shifts made it easy to loose ground with the ebbing tide and turned it into a pointfest. Tsawwassen 'went with the flow' and did a downwinder through the swell to Centennial. Stubborn me did the sail of shame grinding upwind back to where I started - silly me.

Arrival OSR
Pre-launch OSR

Gallery (better for mobile devices)
Slideshow
C36

by Faceplant » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:36 am

LOL were those boats still floating when it was all said and done or what? :o
Faceplant

PreviousNext

Return to Weather Talk and OSR