by tweegster » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:29 am

Tswassen did not last long but it was nice to get out
tweegster

by Alex » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:52 am

How about Squamish this afternoon?
Thanks
Alex

by C36 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:12 pm

Gorge-like. Models seemed to favour NW flow in the straight to DB and I agreed we would likely target Garry Point. Arrived just before 6 am to find DB rigging 4.7/101 but I wasn't entirely sure there was enough wind for my 4.5 until the wind snapped more in line with the river and it felt solid. A little light off the beach. Solid about 200' out. Ramps to starboard (a few back loop attempt inducing). Swell was rolling from the start, (a few rouge swell trains that felt shoulder-high) but really got nice clean with wider spacing when the tide passed through the 2 m mark and the current started to charge. Got rolled off my board once when I crossed the shear between the water in the lagoon and the north edge of the channel. This place demands your attention and respect. As the tide dropped the river seemed to flatten and the chop got a little bouncy. But fun from start to finish! Gorge-like swell, without the eight hour commute each way. Decided to call it just before 9 am when it started to feel a little puffy.

Stopped for a quick look-see at Wreck Beach to see if the tide at 1.1 was workable. The waves were bunching and breaking on further out on the bank and gave the illusion of an outer reef. It looked workable for SUP but wind was about 15 mph so decided it was likely not worth the fight.

Gallery (better for mobile devices)
Slideshow
C36

by ShonanDB » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:57 am

Thanks C36 for taking time to take pictures. Watched the forecast from mid week and it looked like a decent NW push coming through. Checked the updates Friday evening and it looked good but only in the Strait so planned to catch dawn patrol at Garry Point Park. Arrived around 5:45am as it was getting light enough to see and left an OSR. The river was rolling well and it felt like 20+ so I was thinking of rigging 5.3 but some of the gusts made me think 4.7 instead. Glad I did as it ramped up a little more for about 45 mins later and the 5.3 would have been more than a handful. Had to come in and tweak the 4.7 when it seemed too big but glad I didn't rig down as it backed off again and the 4.7 was just right. I took out the 101L and almost switched down to my 73L at one point but with the tide ebbing and the river starting to pick up, I kept the 101. Nice thigh to waist high rollers and a few chest+ sets rolling through. At one point they smoothed out and I did a downwinder linking turns up past the big red river marker out in the centre of the river. Became pretty choppy after that as the river speed picked up and there were some noticeable lulls so came off the water around 9am. It was great to finally have a "Proper" GPP session with 2.5 TOW. Saw C36 try a few back loops and air some nice jumps and I got upside down once but stopped rotating on a backie attempt. Nice start to the weekend!
DB
ShonanDB

Return to Weather Talk and OSR