Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Squamish

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by C36 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:29 pm

Worse. Beyond weird. A brute of a day. Cannonball torquing fly swatter gusts, big shifts, headers on both sides of the sounds, blasts off the wall, voodoo chop. On the plus side the river was flat and the volume had been turned down form sail-in-a-fire-hose strong to seasonal, but there was no wind beyond the tip of the sandbar, so it was all going to waste. :evil: Keep looking for a spot that was settled, but never found it, until I was headed back in and Nexen set up for about 20 minutes just after Richard arrived for Shawn (sp?) on kite, myself and a couple others. Some nice jumping ramps and mini-slides started to kick on the low tide. Post session chatter on the beach was about it being 'well inside the top 10 worst days EVER' and about fly-swatter-backwinded-smack-downs-like-the-old-days. :shock: :cry:

Mini-Gallery (better for mobile devices)
Mini-Slideshow
Last edited by C36 on Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
C36

by Brian C » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:46 pm

There seem to have been a lot of days like that lately. They start out with a promising early inflow but quickly degrade badly. From the graphs I'd say that yesterday was only slightly better, and you really had to time it right! Ross from Squamish was saying yesterday that this has been one of his worst starts to the season that he recalls. Let's hope for a return to normal, soon! I am getting to much use out of my kayak instead of windsurfing!!
Brian C

by C36 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:11 pm

Brian C wrote:There seem to have been a lot of days like that lately. They start out with a promising early inflow but quickly degrade badly. From the graphs I'd say that yesterday was only slightly better, and you really had to time it right! Ross from Squamish was saying yesterday that this has been one of his worst starts to the season that he recalls. Let's hope for a return to normal, soon! I am getting to much use out of my kayak instead of windsurfing!!

The local guy (name escapes me - he drives new black Ford van with dull rear wheels) said he said he sailed yesterday too and yesterday was a 'good' day compared to today - he put today in the 'top 10 worst days ever' for Squamish and noted he has sailed a lot of days there. It was in my top 10 worst as well and but my benchmarking draws from a wider pool as I have sailed in a lot of odd places in some pretty strange conditions, but this was fugly for sure.
C36

by morrison » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:40 pm

C36 wrote:The local guy (name escapes me - he drives new black Ford van with dull rear wheels)

Sounds like Pete but he's got dual rear wheels I think.
morrison

by C36 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:48 pm

C36 wrote:The local guy (name escapes me - he drives new black Ford van with dull rear wheels)

morrison wrote:Sounds like Pete but he's got dual rear wheels I think.

:lol: Ops! Dull = Dual

Likely Pete. Names (and spelling) are not my strong suits. :oops:
C36

by LeopardSkin » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:54 pm

C36 wrote:
:lol: Ops! Dull = Dual

:lol: ops! = oops! :D
LeopardSkin

by C36 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:29 am

Afterthought: The river bottom at the mouth of the river seems to have changed, for the better. The low tide 'island' and shallow sand bar running south from the dolphin on the bank seems to have opened up (shown as yellow circle). Tide was about 1m yesterday when I sailed through there with no issues. But that one nasty log is still in the mouth of the river, but lower and may be covered on high tide (shown with an "X"). Best to keep an eye on things and use caution as they seem to be shifting around.

Squamish sandbar gone (2017 June 13).jpg
Squamish sandbar gone (2017 June 13).jpg (136.77 KiB) Viewed 14011 times
C36

by Brian C » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:23 am

Very helpful thanks Dave. Is the log visible at low tide? Maybe we could tie a makeshift buoy to it on about a 0.5m rope. I'm thinking that it would provide a warning marker when the tide is high enough to submerge it, but the log is still a fin hazard lurking below the surface. When the tide is very high, the buoy would disappear below the surface.
A longer rope wouldn't work since the buoy would drift too far from the log at mid-level tides.
What do you think?
Brian C

by bandito » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:15 am

Can someone turn the sun switch on please.
bandito

by BCKiter123 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:26 am

bandito wrote:Can someone turn the sun switch on please.

Clearer skies forecasted for Tues/Wed! Hopefully forecast holds.
BCKiter123

PreviousNext

Return to Weather Talk and OSR