Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Squamish

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by C36 » Mon May 29, 2017 10:10 pm

Rescued (but not by SWS). Initial pulse of 30 backed to 25 by the time I drove up and was ready. Narrow band of wind kept everyone pretty concentrated in and around the river. Water was pool table flat in spots, but the low-tide narrow channel and run-off made for fast moving current in the river. Tide was so low I hit the lip of the delta and did a park-n-fly (the 'island' at the mouth of the river to the south should have been an obvious clue). Much later connected with a floating submarine log (which I noticed just before impact) on the way into the river - knocked my fin, then me clean off. With the strong current I knew I would only have one chance to make it back to the spit sans fin before getting swept out into the sound. Waterstarted and started to sail digging the windward rail in and there was hope until I hit the rolling speed humps and the board released. By the time I got the rig up again, it was too late. Short version: I am extremely grateful to those that helped - Cash (pulled me about half way in) and kite instructor Dan (gave me a ride the rest of the way in) :D :D and I am extremely disappointed with the SWS 'rescue' crew - after being a paid member for over 20 years (that's collectively over $3,000 of support in current dollars) the first time I needed a rescue I got passed up not once, but twice. :twisted: :twisted:

Gallery (better for mobile devices)
Slideshow
Last edited by C36 on Tue May 30, 2017 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
C36

by Michael » Tue May 30, 2017 7:30 am

C36 wrote:Much later connected with a floating submarine log (which I noticed just before impact) on the way into the river - knocked my fin, then me clean off.

Hey Dave glad to hear the boys helped you out but what a drag! Hope you're OK and your fin box and board survived.
Michael

by Faceplant » Tue May 30, 2017 8:26 am

Sorry for your luck Dave. Looks like that river was puking out a lot of wood! Hopefully the staff learned something.
Faceplant

by Ryancr500 » Tue May 30, 2017 8:35 am

Glad you made it in safely Dave! Glad there were a few people willing to help.
Ryancr500

by Will » Tue May 30, 2017 10:26 am

Beautiful Shots C36!! :!: :!:

I'm sure John will appreciate the one of him on his Purple Ozone rippin his surfboard! :mrgreen:

Looks like another awesome day like the weekend was. 8-) 8-)

As per the rescue...been pretty unimpressed with how slowly the SWS has been responding to stranded kiters this season thus far :( :?

Good thing Aerial Kiteboarding is around! We are always looking out for everyone in the community! I have seen Dan (owner) rescue over 10 people this season alone! More than a few people should buy that man a beer or two!

Or maybe a lesson or two so they dont need to get rescued so much! :D :lol: ;) :mrgreen:
Will

by Alton » Tue May 30, 2017 10:32 am

Aerial Kiteboarding (and Cash) is a great group always helping out windsurfers and kiteboarder alike.

SWS retrieval is challenging because windsurfers are small and very difficult to spot. I've been caught out there in a massive lull windsurfing and the only way to get help is to ask a kiter to call for retrieval.

Even as a kiter, SWS have difficulty spotting you if your kite is deflated or if you're hidden behind the ferry terminal near Nexen. I've been missed a couple of times last year.
Alton

by Will » Tue May 30, 2017 10:48 am

Alton wrote:SWS retrieval is challenging because windsurfers are small and very difficult to spot. I've been caught out there in a massive lull windsurfing and the only way to get help is to ask a kiter to call for retrieval.

Even as a kiter, SWS have difficulty spotting you if your kite is deflated or if you're hidden behind the ferry terminal near Nexen. I've been missed a couple of times last year.

Very True! Its not always easy to spot people.

That being said...

There has been instances already with people in the water for over an hour, kite fully inflated in the middle of the bay in plain sight. Both Skiis sitting at the dock...

Unless I am mistaken? I had the understanding the paid staff would be checking the bay every while or so (10mins?) for people in need of rescue?

Some clarification would be great, as I have heard in the past "..its not our job to rescue people..." And if this is the case, it should be clearly stated as people come to the spit so they are aware to not ride that far out in the bay as they may not receive a rescue.

But even this seems ridiculous, people paying membership fees to not be rescued?
Will

by fuji » Tue May 30, 2017 12:20 pm

Thanks for the photos C36! Looks like I need to start taking some weight off my back foot...

Sorry to hear about your fin. Those logs were coming out of the river pretty fast.
fuji

by AdrienGrelon » Tue May 30, 2017 12:53 pm

Sorry to read about the collisions, Dave, but glad to hear there were buddies to help out! Entertaining write up for those of us in the office :D Park and ride is a nice way of describing a fin-stopper :lol:

The current was crazy on Saturday and Sunday too. My new 4.8 Freek fell victim to a pinning against the sandbar and getting punctured by a protruding branch...

Witnessed a massive log tumbling down the waist deep water on the far side of the river. Definitely some pretty serious hazards to be aware of on those days. I'll take my next low tide session with less runoff, please.
AdrienGrelon

by Slappy » Tue May 30, 2017 1:35 pm

Sorry to hear about your fin David.

It must be hard for SWS to tell if a windsurfer is actually in need of help or not, as sometimes they do just hang out in the water for a while. With kiters you can easily tell by checking if they've wrapped their lines or swam to the kite.

If I notice a windsurfer swimming for a while I'll go ask them if they are okay and every time the answer has been they are fine.
Slappy

PreviousNext

Return to Weather Talk and OSR