Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Squamish

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by LeopardSkin » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:54 am

bandito wrote:... beginner kiter tourist who paid 20$ was rescues by jet ski ,and was told unkindly by the male rescuer to take lessons and stop bothering
Rescue!!! sounds wrong to me, anybody else heard problems wt rescue team paid from the Funds?

The jetski rescue is for unexpected emergencies.

If you are a beginner, a rescue is not likely "unexpected." Rather, the beginner is using the jetski rescue like a shuttle service.

I pay my fees so the SWS can lobby on my behalf, pay the required insurance, and pay for all the infrastructure that's needed to keep all the government agencies happy. Otherwise the spit road will be permanently closed.

I'm not paying for a beginner's shuttle service. The kite schools do offer shuttles for a fee.
LeopardSkin

by Laura » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:31 pm

If you are a beginner, a rescue is not likely "unexpected." Rather, the beginner is using the jetski rescue like a shuttle service.

agree... well put
Laura

by ezzylover » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:09 pm

LeopardSkin wrote:
bandito wrote:... beginner kiter tourist who paid 20$ was rescues by jet ski ,and was told unkindly by the male rescuer to take lessons and stop bothering
Rescue!!! sounds wrong to me, anybody else heard problems wt rescue team paid from the Funds?

The jetski rescue is for unexpected emergencies.

I pay my fees so the SWS can lobby on my behalf, pay the required insurance, and pay for all the infrastructure that's needed to keep all the government agencies happy. Otherwise the spit road will be permanently closed.

I'm not paying for a beginner's shuttle service. The kite schools do offer shuttles for a fee.

very well said !
ezzylover

by BCKiter123 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:54 am

Perhaps a standard competency (kiting level) should be mandatory for people to kite at the spit? Perhaps this should be part of the paperwork and signed for both season and day use members. Things like:
-ability to get and stay upwind (implies knows how to transition etc)
-kited at spit before?
-knowledge of launching/landing procedures at the spit? (helps to identify if SWS should give person a quick walk-through)
-knowledge of how to self-rescue and wrap lines
-previous lessons taken, IKA level attained etc.

And perhaps SWS should reserve the right to NOT let people kite at the spit if the above requirements are not met? Would this not ensure that SWS resources are best utilized to ensure the safety of 'eligible and competent' members? Just a thought.

Standard competency could be mandatory and 'proof' required before launching at spit. Local schools could provide some type of 'Spit Competency Check List' that kiter could show SWS before launching there.
Last edited by BCKiter123 on Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
BCKiter123

by morrison » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:59 am

"Standard competency"

We are talking about humans here?
morrison

by BCKiter123 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:05 am

morrison wrote:"Standard competency"

We are talking about humans here?

Edited to say 'kiting level' in case that clarifies.
BCKiter123

by morrison » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:37 am

"Minimum" ( the lowest amount, value, or degree attained or recorded ) is probably more applicable than " standard "?
morrison

by LeopardSkin » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:52 am

Beginner windsurfers and kiters are always welcome. They should take lessons. They should hire a school boat to shuttle them back to safety.
LeopardSkin

by Alton » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:55 pm

Scored a nice pair today :shock:

First session - demo'd 9m Airush Union + 140 cm Airush Twin Tip for 1 sweet hour ... then rescued in the lull.

Second session - overpowered (and overcrowded) on 12m+TT for 1 hour. Called it quits because the smoke made me nauseous.

Squamish_Sat_Aug_5.gif
Squamish_Sat_Aug_5.gif (19.71 KiB) Viewed 14192 times
Alton

by C36 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:15 pm

Spooky. Logging road bumpy. Erie smokie haze. Lots of out of province sailors including two 'wild roses" (windsurfers from Alberta) and one 'trillium' (kiter from Ontario). Full wind (as noted by Dan). Low tide early on made for flat water in the river. A little light and a little unsettled but sounded like the best day in a while. Fun sailing with AJ in the river. Smoke seemed to clear a little throughout the session.

Gallery (better for mobile devices)
Slideshow
C36

PreviousNext

Return to Weather Talk and OSR