Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

SE Tues/Weds

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by Alton » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:06 am

Got an hour on 9m. Now backed off to 12m.
Alton

by gabrielb » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:20 am

Turned to mush.
PR, nothing there (from Lily point lookout, not much to see).

Southern strait forecast looks good on paper, then shuts down right in the middle of it.

High winds (SSW). The last 4 times same outcome. Safe to say that's the new trend (PR/GB is history, Ambleside went the same way) for local weather.
gabrielb

by Alton » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:29 pm

Still sse 18
Alton

by Slappy » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:00 pm

Got a nice 3 hours on the water today. First hour was pretty meh, rain and confused water, light wind that didn't fill in down to Centennial (where the shallows clean up the waves). From 11:00-1:00 though things turned around. Mostly knee high with waist high set waves.

Some chest high swell but the water was really choppy on the swell so it was crappy.

9m + SB
Slappy

by Brian C » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:55 pm

Arrived at the boat ramp at 1015 to see most people on Shore, watching Darrell barely planing on his 5.3. C36's wind gauge was only reading 13-16 at the ramp.
Fortunately within half an hour it freshened just enough to get us rigging. With the low tide, I didn't want to risk a long walk to re-rig, or repeating last weeks slogfest, so I went for power and volume with 5.7/110. Glad I did. Had 2 hours of fun on the outside with enough power to move around and find the nicer swell among the chop.
Shared the sailing and smiles with Darrell, Dave, Michael and Richard. Not epic, but very good by this winter's standards!
Brian C

by 8mdude » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:12 pm

Nice 3 1/2 hour session with 6m today. Looking forward to possible Squamish Sunday Session (fingers crossed).
8mdude

by C36 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:13 pm

gabrielb wrote:Turned to mush.
PR, nothing there (from Lily point lookout, not much to see).

Southern strait forecast looks good on paper, then shuts down right in the middle of it.

High winds (SSW). The last 4 times same outcome. Safe to say that's the new trend (PR/GB is history, Ambleside went the same way) for local weather.

GB: A couple of thoughts - from what I have seen you usually only get one good season per year (fall or spring - not both); there have been several "more fizzle than sizzle" seasons in the past and most spots comes to life again so there is hope still for PR/GB.
:D ;)

Just enough. DB gave it an early shot (and got some rides for his effort). Next Brian, myself and M took to the water. M was missing Maui and I wasn't entirely sure he was going to go out (especially when he disappeared to the house to pick-up a few forgotten items). Undergunned at first and losing ground; then powered and got even with the beach; then powered to the point where you could sail where you wanted and was able to hit the section of the bank just below the border marker with Cash and Chuck (kite) - flat inside, mini ramps, breaking wind swell, then clean rollers. Jumps in both directions and some pushy wind swell. That part made the whole session worthwhile. Just as Brian, M and I were headed in we met Mandi. Hope the wind rebounded for her.

Swung down to Gabriel's Beach and Lighthouse Park for a quick-look-see, but waves were small and nobody was out. Border guard just looked at me driving in my wetsuit and the gear in the van and said, "Have a nice day."

Pre-Session OSR

Gallery (better for mobile devices)
Slideshow
Last edited by C36 on Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
C36

by Roxstock » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:50 pm

I took the afternoon shift again and it turned out very well. 12m but could have easily been on a 10m. Surprised at the lack of other people there, just 5 of us from 3:00-6:00. Good fun had by all.
Roxstock

by ShonanDB » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:00 pm

Arrived at the Boat Launch around 9:30 and rigged 5.3 and took out the 101L. On the water shortly after 10:00 and got planing a few times on the way out but was under-gunned. Came back in to switch fins from 23cm to 26cm and went back out after conversing with the 4 "armchair windsurfers" standing on the beach. The tide was dropping and had a bit of a walk but the wind had come up a few knots and was steadier than before so I was planing most of the time on the way out but off and on, on the way back in. Some nice knee to thigh high steep faces to jump on the way out and then decent waist high rollers on the outside to gybe on. The wind stepped up a bit more to a point where I was considering coming back in to switch fins again but then it became holey again. Schlogged around for about another 30 minutes and headed back in around noon. Noticed that I broke my GoPro mount so decided to call it a day instead of changing booms.

I asked C36 to only take pics of my back loops today but I guess he must have missed them ........... and got me on the beach and mowing the lawn out in the shallow stuff! I'm sure I was boosting as much air as Cash was on his Kite! :lol:
ShonanDB

by BCKiter123 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:36 pm

Great 2h TOW late aft shift with Roxstock and a few others. One of the best sessions I've ever had at 3rd ave. On my 10m and some nice boosts even starting to land some jump transitions (some with loop) Surprised that tomorrow's forecast has downgraded for BB/Ferry but I'm sore so need the rest :)
BCKiter123

PreviousNext

Return to Weather Talk and OSR