Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

La Ventana 2017 (Day 1 - S1+2)

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by C36 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:58 pm

Solo. Drove around taking `look-sees` at a number of SUP spots, but there was too much wind already. Decided on windsurfing instead (might as well take advantage of the morning wind). Hit the water at about 10 am. Was the first one out and had the place all to myself (FreeWave 115 and Severne Blade 5.3). Spoke to one of the locals about favoured tide at the different spots and it validated what I had seen the day before ('Kenny's' favours high tide, 'the Generals/campground favours mid-tide, and 'mushrooms' favours low tide). Went down to the `round house` (just above mushrooms) but swell there was more onshore and didn`t venture further to the `white house`. Quick morning sail held my attention for longer than I thought. Started on Freewave 115/Severne Blade 5.3 and then took a 'test drive' on a JP Freestyle 90/4.7 Severne Blade. Ethan was feeling better so we did a quick midday trip down to LV Classic event at Hot Springs Beach.
Gallery (better for mobile devices)
Slideshow

Afternoon. Finally hit the peak of the wind head on. Slightly windier than yesterday (FreeWave 96 and Severne Blade 4.7) but the swell seemed smaller and slightly confused at times. Sailed up past the campground to 'the generals' (a sweet little sand bar break) to find several sailors swarming it including Tyson, Wyatt and one other on a S2 sail (who was the best of the bunch from what I saw) all busting out tricks on their freestyle boards. Caught a few decent sized swell. Nice to see Ethan moving around again today and looking forward to seeing him on the water again mañana.
Last edited by C36 on Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:56 am, edited 5 times in total.
C36

by gabrielb » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:40 pm

C36, you may need a longer climbing rope for a taller wall on your way back. Enjoy Mexico, Canadian flag may come handy next time. :D
gabrielb

by Brian C » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:30 pm

Love the reports Dave! They bring back so many great memories of sailing and exploring LV. Mokka and I plan to return next year, but in the meantime I am jealous!
Brian C

by C36 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:31 pm

Angry. The day started off with a wave SUP at dawn. So glad to see the Windsports Ventana 'garage' door open at 7:00 am! Grabbed Fanatic Fly (10' x 30") and scored sweet soft glassy faces all to myself and then it got crowded (John came out). One ride at the point break then lots of long lefts in the shore break right out front Casa Verde down to Windsports Ventana. Phil from Casa Verde said it looked like I was 'killing it'. Fun way to start the day. Bonus that!

The bad news was the large rolling swell and gusty wind shut down kiteboarding lessons for the day (so much for seeing Ethan return to the water today). Wind was uber light on the inside and variable outside. Pete said that first day of El Norte cycle is often quite punchy. Still the XL size swell on the outside and clean faces inside made the fight with the wind worth a try (FreeWave 96 and Severne SWAT 4.2).

Slideshow

Rain squals. Took Ethan down for a 'look-see' at 'the generals' just above the campground. Wind swell was rolling again on the dropping tide.

Then back for a short cool-down session (FreeWave 115 and Severne Blade 5.3) in more manageable wind range (minimum stayed about the same, but the top end had shouldered off). There were even a few drops of rain in the air, which suited the unstable wind.
Last edited by C36 on Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
C36

by Michael » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:06 pm

C36 wrote:Fun way to start the day. Bonus that!
Some nice looking swell Dave, looks like you're having fun. Great timing as usual, nothing going on here. Hope Ethan gets out tomorrow. Thanks again for the reports. I noticed the go pro on the front of the board, looking forward to seeing some footage. :D
Michael

by C36 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:45 am

C36 wrote:Fun way to start the day. Bonus that!

Michael wrote:Some nice looking swell Dave, looks like you're having fun. Great timing as usual, nothing going on here. Hope Ethan gets out tomorrow. Thanks again for the reports. I noticed the go pro on the front of the board, looking forward to seeing some footage. :D

You would have enjoyed this week for sure! Good eye M! Windsports has all the toys for sure! Go Pro has been temperamental (so far). Best moments failed to get captured, so don`t expect much. :oops: Hopefully we get it sorted today! :D ;)
Last edited by C36 on Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
C36

by Adrian L » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:48 pm

Question: If flying down to LV. Is it worth bringing ones own gear? Or is renting the better option?
Water looks great btw!
Thanks
Adrian L

by Faceplant » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:10 pm

Very Very nice looking ramps! Thanks for sharing!
Faceplant

by C36 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:46 pm

Adrian L wrote:Question: If flying down to LV. Is it worth bringing ones own gear? Or is renting the better option?
Water looks great btw!
Thanks

Kiting: bring your own.
Windsurfing: rent from Windsports Ventana (great people, great gear and resonable prices).
C36

by C36 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:49 pm

Legend. Wave SUP at dawn with smaller waves than yesterday. Set wave was still overhead, but on average they were smaller and few sweet ones being offered up. Kenny was the first on the water (SUP), at the break right out in front of his place, and we were joined by Gerry (Lopez) and later Kenny`s daughter. Before I knew who Gerry was I was impressed by his wave selection, timing, and pivots (both onto and off of the wave). Glad I gave him lots of space and yielded right of way early on in the session. If the conditions were good enough for Gerry they were good enough for me. Special getting to SUP with a three sport legend (surf, windsurf, SUP).

Then dropped Ethan off for his `ride along` kiteboarding lesson (waves were too big to launch the jet skis today). Ethan launched from the south end of the campground. Some good long fast rides down through the rolling swell, some turns, landing kite and he was all smiles when he arrived back at Baja Joe`s!

Scare. Once Ethan was in I took to the water for my last windsurf (Freewave 96 and Maui Sails Mutant 4.6, Severne Gator 4.7, Severne Blade 4.7). On my way upwind to the campground I heard a big crack on gybe exit as I was loading the sail (not good). I looked down and saw the boom arm was crimped and ready to break apart. Worse yet I looked up and was REALLY far out! Since I was almost planing I decided to nurse it up on plane and see how far I could make it. It was nerve racking bounding over every roll and hearing the boom creak with the load as I was willing the boom to hold and pulling it together with one hand on either side of the break. Gratefully I made it in and did what came naturally – grabbed a new boom and completed the mission (sailed up to the campground and rode a few of the mini walls). Mission completed just in time to nurse the smaller gear back to the ’garage’ in the dying evening wind!

Slideshow
Last edited by C36 on Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:09 am, edited 4 times in total.
C36

PreviousNext

Return to Weather Talk and OSR