Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

La Ventana 2017 (Day 1 - S1+2)

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by C36 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:32 pm

Playful. Arrived in La Ventana just after dark last night. Lots of animals (red fox) and livestock (donkeys, horses, cows) on the drive up. Checked-in, grabbed dinner (road-side tacos) and groceries. Heard the roosters this morning and watched the sunrise. Then took to the water for an early mornng SUP. Was surprised to catch a couple of leftover wind swell breaking at the jetty at the north end of the campground (they were only knee-high, but I'll take them). Then got Ethan origanized for his 'orientation`lesson. Wind line was out in the channel and took its time filling in, so Ethan had a delayed start but scored the best part of the day (10 m). His instructor said he was doing well and almost ready to be sailing independently. I ran errands while he was out and by the time I took to the water I got a few short rides with power then the puffs of the backing wind (Freewave 115 and Severne Freek 5.6). Really playful water (given the wind)! Pretty sure I saw Wyatt Miller riding a windsurfing hull with a foil fin pull a duck jibe on the inside. Our day was capped with a great meal at the Palapas Ventana.

Special thanks to Joeblo for the loan of the golf bag for Ethan's kiteboarding gear, the windsurfing gear and all of the Le Ventana info!

Gallery (better for mobile devices)
Slideshow
Last edited by C36 on Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:28 am, edited 6 times in total.
C36

by Michael » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:57 pm

Awesome Dave, looks like you guys are off to a good start!
Michael

by Slappy » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:36 am

Did you drive all the way?
Slappy

by C36 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:34 am

Slappy wrote:Did you drive all the way?

No. We flew into Cabo San Jose (SJD) and drove up from there. Ethan only has one week off and I don`t think I would have the patience to drive down (unless I had the luxury of a lot of free time). :D ;)
C36

by Adrian L » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:05 am

Dave! Great shots! Looks beautiful down there.
I've wanted to do the same thing with my family for a few years now... right on! Looks great!
Adrian L

by C36 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:19 pm

Foiled. Provided shore support for Ethan following a morning SUP with Ethan. No leftover wind swell but great views of the sea life through the smooth sea surface. Slack line and beach volleyball while waiting for the wind. Foils were ripping and everyone else was drifting. Took a couple of tacks late in the afternoon (Super Freek 5.6/Freesex 100) after Ethan`s 12 m launch and self rescue (due to the dying wind). Spoiled ourselves with lunch at Coyas and dinner at El Rincon de la Baja (fish soup and tacos).

Slideshow
Last edited by C36 on Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
C36

by C36 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:15 pm

El Norte. Started the day with yoga class in the palapa. Ethan was down with sick stomach so I was sailing solo. Wanted to get out early having missed the peak of the day the last two days. Played in the shorebreak right out in front of Windsports Ventana was amazed to get one (back side), two (front side) hit mini-smacks! There were some nice deep generously spaced Point Roberts Lighthouse Park-like swell rolling. Fun! Then sailed up to the cove above Palapas Ventana where Elevation launched Ethan the last two days to check it out myself (FreeWave 115 + Severne 5.3 Blade). The best part was sampling the water all the way up and getting to hit the rolling break between the Palapas and the campground again on the way back down. This section served up some nice ramps for jumping too! The one shot I really would have liked to have taken today was of view from the water looking back at the beach, sloping table lands and coastal mountains - it was as scenic as Maui`s north shore with the illusion of a carpet of green created by the forest of cacti. This spot is truly spectacular!

Slideshow

Cool down. The LV Classic flotilla passed by just before I took to the water for a late afternoon cool down session on FreeWave 96 and Severne 4.7 Blade. Sailed up only as far the as the campground this time. The Freewave 96 was quick to get going and light under foot. Fun session until the evening wind turned side-off and puffy. Mañana.

Slideshow
Last edited by C36 on Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:50 am, edited 7 times in total.
C36

by Michael » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:12 pm

C36 wrote:El Norte.
Thanks for the photos Dave! Looks like you'll be getting some nice windy days for the rest of your trip!
Michael

by C36 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:33 am

C36 wrote:El Norte.

Michael wrote:Thanks for the photos Dave! Looks like you'll be getting some nice windy days for the rest of your trip!

Glad you`re enjoying the photos! Jose at Windsports Ventana declared the El Norte cycle had officially begun (cool overcast start to the day with wind at dawn) and was likely to roll through Saturday. Hope Ethan rebounds in time to enjoy some of it.
C36

by gabrielb » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:20 am

C36, I like the 10 meter-kite-foil-jumper photo.

First thought was .... might as well jump with a French knife and dice some onions in the air while you are at it (might I say I always have in mind the poor snorkeler woman that got decapitated by a windsurfer last year in the canary islands) ... sorry about the morbid morning, happy thought, happy thought. :| , more happy thoughts... :)
gabrielb

Next

Return to Weather Talk and OSR