Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by gabrielb » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:07 pm

waves have closed shop
done.JPG
done.JPG (20.53 KiB) Viewed 14583 times

3pm is 15 knots.
gabrielb

by 8mdude » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:22 pm

Don't procrastinate. Even if forecasts say all day, I go first thing in the morning.
8mdude

by Alton » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:33 pm

Early morning arrivals scored 9m conditions (ESE 20) at 3rd before it tanked at 10:30am. Absent riders didn't miss much - wind was great but southbound chop sucked (waves were terrible). Marginal wind returned at noon - good for another hour on 12m+surfboard but still easterly.

Just as G-Spot predicted, there was more wind at Point Roberts than at 3rd Ave/Centennial. Well done Darrell.

blowme.jpeg
blowme.jpeg (72.54 KiB) Viewed 14557 times
Alton

by ShonanDB » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:35 pm

Got to GB's beach in PR shortly after 10am and there were lots of whitecaps and it was perfect sideshore ESE. Left an OSR and while rigging my 5.3 the wind stepped up so I switched to my 4.7 and took out my JP 101L. It was a little light on the inside but once out past the Marina Jetty the wind filled in and I was nicely powered. Waves were around thigh high with the odd waist high sets at first but built up over the next hour to waist to shoulder high with some space between them. Well powered on the way in and planing 70% of the time on the way out. Got a couple 2 turn front side rides and a bunch of backside lip smacks when the waves were at their best. I think I made George and GB scurry sideways a few times when I came in close - sorry guys but the waves were setting up nicely in that spot!

It went more SE and filled in so I came in and switched to my 73L and came off the water around 12:30 as I had to leave. Good port side jumps to be had today and was able to find a few starboard as well on the way in. The wind was still solid when I came in but the waves had dropped considerably from earlier with the lower tide. Maybe the wind south (Saturna) backed off or the ebbing tide took away some of their size. A nice 2 hour session to clear the sailing cobwebs out of the system in prep for the storm systems heading our way next week.
DB
ShonanDB

by bandito » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:06 pm

Great session overpower on 12m and nice 9 m from 2 45pm till dark! great BIG jumping session and higher winds in front of bathroom n downwind at 3rd. Love it when i wait n get candies :) yes its easterly, so what,,,,i take it any days. nice mini jumping ramps :D where is Cash when i need him?
bandito

by BCKiter123 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:10 pm

Scored an awesome short session at 3rd from about 3:30-5:30. 13m seemed to do the trick well. Lent Will my kite for a bit (he had snapped a line on his), and happy to see him nail some tricks with great hangtime.
BCKiter123

by C36 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:00 pm

Early start. Decided to head over when sensor was showing a rock steady 23 knots. Rolling swell upon arrival! Lots of wind (more than 23 knots)! One rescue shuttle. No pig. Great group! Nice to see Johnny carving some faces! Glad I went.

Pre-Launch OSR

Gallery (better for mobile devices)
Slideshow
C36

by Simon » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:42 pm

Awesome shots, thanks for sharing!
Simon

by Michael » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:45 pm

Definitely my best session at Columbia Beach!! Despite a broken mast and a long swim (checked the gopro and it was at least a 45 min). When I arrived I couldn't believe how nice the waves looked. Rigged quick and went out on the 4.3 but found myself over powered right away. Stayed on the 4.3 anyways until about an hour later I snapped my mast. I was going for a long reach to get back up wind so was quite far out when I heard a loud bang. I feel in and when I tried to water start saw the top of my mast flapping around. I managed to sail in for about a minute until the mast ripped through the sail and then I had to swim. That little bit of sailing saved me a lot of time swimming though. A big sea lion came by to say hello which freaked my out but other than that it was just a long grind back to the shore. Ended up far down the beach and Johnny came down to help me carry my gear back, then thankfully Dave showed up with his Van. Thanks for the shuttle ride back Dave! Re-rigged with the 3.8 and went back out for some more. 3.8 seemed perfect for about one reach then the wind picked up even more. I sailed about another hour but my body was drained from the swim and I had no energy left. Got some great wave rides in at the beginning though so it was all worth it!

P.S. thanks again for the pics Dave!!
Last edited by Michael on Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael

by Brian C » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:51 pm

Ok, after slogging around at Centennial in the weak easterly wind today, I think we need some sailing site info added for GBs in Point Roberts. Are we talking about Lighthouse Park or another (secret?) launch?

Would have loved to be at CBS but that wasn't in the cards. Could have made it out to Pt Bob though, if only I new where the launch of choice was located.
Brian C

PreviousNext

Return to Weather Talk and OSR