Alton

by LeopardSkin » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:44 am

Boat Launch OSR. Guys rigging mid 4s.
LeopardSkin

by Alton » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:46 am

Taf downgraded. Pumping 7m
Alton

by C36 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:01 pm

Snickers. Kept the snapchat streak with Centennial, I mean session streak alive (four for four), but that looks to be it.

Round 1: I am just not myself when I am underpowered. Arrived about 9 am to find it looking a touch flat and wind a touch light so took my time rigging. Intuition said 5.3/115, but consensus was mid-fours. Rigged 4.5/115 and was undergunned ~ nice smooth swell on the edge of the second bank, but not enough power to take full advantage.

Round 2: Rigged 5.3/115 and took advantage of the rebounding wind. Much better! Still felt like the wind was bending (south at the beach and SSE on the outside) so you felt like you were sailing a header the whole time, but fun jumping ramps! Saw Joeblo through a forward; RyanCR500 nail an inside duck gybe; and I just about nailed Nicolas! 100% my fault: I failed to shoulder check while maundering downwind on the face of swell with him in my blind spot, last hit on the nice open face and WOW!!! He was RIGHT THERE!!! Decided to hang onto my gear, stomp the tail and sheet out in a effort not to hit him and slowed down and curved enough that only the nose of my board grazed the tailing edge of the foot of his sail. Very thankful he wasn't injured. I apologized several times and Nicolas was more than gracious about it. Lesson there to pay attention and check every time!

Pre-Launch OSR

Gallery (better for mobile devices
Slidshow
C36

by Alton » Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:17 pm

Four consecutive days at 3rd Ave! Today was my favourite - shared 4 hrs TOW in playful waves with lots of good company - over a dozen windsurfers and 48 kiters :shock:

Started at 9am lit on 7m+surfboard in SSE 25-30 so followed Tony360 towards the mile marker. Slightly disorganized chest high waves so had to hunt for some clean waves way outside ... well worth it for fast toeside rides. Fun sharing the waves with Tony, Kirsten, Rob D, Rob W and Jerry.

At 10am, dropped downwind (outside of the boat launch) to discover breaking waves had jacked up over shoulder high with glassy sections between. Wind had dropped to SSE 25 which was perfect for another 1.5 hours of toeside hits.

At 11:30am wind backed off to SSE 20 so I thought I'd call it a day with big smiles.

After some lunch, I thought I'd dry out my 9m kite soaked from Sunday's rain. Pleasantly surprised to score another 1.5 hours in SSE 25 - 9m fully depowered. With low tide waves were smaller and disorganized. Outside of the boat launch nice chest high waves formed - fun sharing the waves with Dave/C36, LeopardSkin, Richi and many more windsurfers.

Perfect day ... 2 dry kites ... and a hot steamy shower at Centennial with Maryam ;)

Tsawwassen_Sun_Oct_16.jpg
Tsawwassen_Sun_Oct_16.jpg (75.77 KiB) Viewed 11188 times
Alton

by Alton » Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:37 pm

Dave/C36: thanks for taking the time for pictures. Excellent as always.

Love the shot of Jeff/Tweegster's surfboard jump with one foot strapped in. I was there.
Alton

by AdrienGrelon » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:07 pm

Mike's new sail is looking sharp!
AdrienGrelon

by tweegster » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:18 pm

Nice shots Dave!

Glad I put the front strap on, needed some way to clear the weeds.

Really fun day, good wind and nice waves. White Rock delivered as well, another dozen or so kited there. Much gustier but guys were out on 7-9M kites when I went down around 1.

Great few days we've had, some promise for an after work WREB session too.

:mrgreen:
tweegster

by ShonanDB » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:00 pm

Got to the Boat Launch around 7:30AM and it was solid. Rigged my 4.2 and took out my 73L and was well powered for the first 40 minutes but then the lulls started but I could keep planing 90% of the time. Waves were waist high with the odd larger sets but as the tide was high, not much was actually breaking. Came in to switch up to my 101L and that did the trick for the next 30 minutes but then it picked back up again so came in again to switch back to the 73L but that was short lived as it lulled way down for a while. Took a break and went back out on the 101L but it was a schlog fest for the next 30+ minutes with the odd gust to get planing briefly.
Should have rigged up my 5.3 or 5.8 at that point but had to leave at noon anyway so just floated around for a while and tried to ride some waves. Around that time it it got really puffy ranging from 12 - 25 knots as if it was trying to switch directions but eventually steadied out a little and I could plane 75% of the time. It lulled up around 11:30 and it took me about 20 minutes to get back to the beach (at a snail's pace).
There were nice ramps setting up when the tide was dropping but no power to do much with them. The best wind was early in the morning but it sounds like it picked back up a bit after I left.
Apologies to the Kiter in the Blue helmet as I came a little close when I gybed on a breaking wave face out on the outside. I didn't think that you would still be there when I came around.
ShonanDB

by Alton » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:00 am

ShonanDB wrote:Apologies to the Kiter in the Blue helmet as I came a little close when I gybed on a breaking wave face out on the outside. I didn't think that you would still be there when I came around.

No worries Darrell. I intentionally slowed down waiting for you to pass before I switched my feet. When I saw you were still there, I moved away by cranking a couple of S-turns ... so much fun.

Actually, I apologize to another windsurfer who I cut off during a cutback. Sometimes I forget how fast windsurfers can sneak up on you out of nowhere.
Alton

Previous

Return to Weather Talk and OSR