Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

SE Friday

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by C36 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:29 pm

Weeds and fuzz-balls.

Round one seemed like it might not happen, but Massimo was optimistic and determined - he set sail with 3.7 and taunted the wind into materializing. Well done! The rest of us joined in on mid-fours and the wind swell kicked up pretty quick. Saw AG over-rotate a back loop attempt into a push loop on the second revolution. Was wondering where M got to and later found out he returned home for `spare` board. DB joined in from Maple Beach and the rumours of a wind shadow appear to be greatly exaggerated as it started to crank while he was on the way out. Nice to see the communal effort from the gear co-op in getting Chuck out on the water so he could through down some forwards and providing RyanCR500 with a spare US box weed fin so he could use his smaller board. Weed were thick and even my weed fins were acting like a rake at times. Also found that the steeper, breaking outside wave faces, as temping as they were, had a nasty surprise waiting on the exit (giant fuzz ball of white foam), but just couldn`t stop myself from repeating this again and again. Nice to see some fresh faces out. Special thanks to Jerry for playing GoPro drone and shadowing me for a couple of reaches! Thanks to Johnny (sp?) for shooting stills!

Round two saw smalller gear (3.4/74 for me), strong wind, angry water, cowboy gybes and survival sailing. Watched the water vaporize off tail of Chuck's board as I followed him on one ride out. I found you really had to hunt for sections smooth enough to even backside rise and had to be careful not be pointing too deep when the next twister hit. The Adrians (young and old) put on a forward loop clinic. Richi and Maryam showed up for the 'shot out of cannon' ride. Late in the second round the wind swell seemed to organize on the rising tide and the hammer effect eased a touch.

Took a quick look-see at Gulf Road (huge rolling swell cruising by) and Gabriel's Beach (super strong dead onshore wind and growling waves) - see the last few pictures.

The wind just kept building throughout the day (WindGuru GFS and BWD 1 were the winners today). Crazy at times at Boundary Bay, but a day well spent!

Pre-Launch OSR
Pre-Launch OSR Update
Mid-Session OSR

Gallery (better for mobile devices)
Slideshow
C36

by Will » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:56 pm

Awesome Pics C36!

Looks like everyone had a great session today. Watching the webcam it looks crazy good!
At one point I saw someone bail on their Windsurfer and it started flipping away from them quickly a few times :o . Luckily it stopped and they managed to catch up. Hopefully nothing got broken!
Unfortunately, I got tied up and work and didn't escape until later, by that time the traffic was looking awful down to BB/WR.
Managed to get over to Dundarave in West Van and scored a 2hr session on the 12m in SSE. Always nice to ride a new to me spot!

Hopefully we will see another nice storm like that at BB that I can get out to and ride!
Will

by gabrielb » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:07 am

I was wondering what a 50 knot wind at Saturna, and 15 ft tide, with HB2.0m would look like at PR at 4pm. Very high tide but it managed to break, by then it was turning S, those pictures help for next time.
At 7 ft tide it was breaking fine, very windy. Hopefully some more tomorrow.
gabrielb

by AdrienGrelon » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:32 am

Not much to add to what's already been said, other than great to share this awesome day with so many familiar faces! Felt like a big old high school reunion.

Definitely a great day to throw my wind-day token in for. Maybe we're in for a winter "like 06"!
AdrienGrelon

by Jerry » Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:21 am

Check it out C 36 four and a half minutes out to surf zone and a 5 meter kitesurf helmet cam
https://1drv.ms/v/s!AqkUEGfz5EvEgZ9ef21l8rbniFvDxA
Jerry

by Alton » Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:27 am

Jerry wrote:Check it out C 36 four and a half minutes out to surf zone and a 5 meter kitesurf helmet cam

Dave/C36 has his personal camera man. Well done
Alton

by Jerry » Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:55 am

Here's a video to keep your summer dreams alive for those fair weather sailors.
https://1drv.ms/v/s!AqkUEGfz5EvEgZ1JIFDk7rRuemfwiQ
Jerry

by Mike » Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:43 am

Jerry wrote:Check it out C 36 four and a half minutes out to surf zone and a 5 meter kitesurf helmet cam

Nice one Jerry! "Moving picture" is worth a 1000 words.
Mike

by Johnny » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:50 am

I was on the injured reserve list yesterday with a back problem so I came by and snapped some photos. You can find them here. Great to see everyone out and having a blast.

https://goo.gl/photos/1PuF1Cg2cApgv5Q4A
Johnny

by Adrian L » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:51 am

Thanks C36 for the photos! What an awesome day!
Adrian L

PreviousNext

Return to Weather Talk and OSR