Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

westerly tue/wed

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by Alton » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:03 pm

Expecting stronger conditions today ... didn't happen. Earlier most went out on 10m and 12m at Spanish Banks. I waited too long then went out on 9m and a walk of shame from Locarno.

Wind returned later in the afternoon (W 16-18) so went out on 12m for an hour. Spent most of my effort pinching upwind in lumping water. Very disappointing after yesterday's session.
Alton

by Brian C » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:11 pm

Yes,not up to yesterday's wind quality. Managed to squeeze an hour of pretty good 7.0/Futura sailing between 430 and 530. Neede the big gear to salvage a session but still fun.
Brian C

by Will » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:36 am

Made the journey to tswassen. As I arrived, it died out and the last 2 kiters came off the water. Hung out for an hour, and a foiler went out on his 10m. Noticed more whitecaps forming on the north side, so decided to try again. There was just enough to stay upwind and have some fun on the butter flat water :P. Got about 45 - 1hr in. Would have been nice to have had a little more power, but beggers cant be choosers! :mrgreen:
Just stokked the drive wasn't a complete loss.
Will

by decman_r » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:58 am

Got an awesome 2 hrs on the foil and 10M. :D
decman_r

by Alan » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:38 am

Yesterday at Tsawwassen there were 7 kiters out between about 1 -3 pm, and it looked like all were on 12m. I was the first out and powered ok during that time. I only kite there perhaps once per season, and it was indeed a nice sunny glassy day that the ferry terminal is famous for.

After 3pm a second shift of kiters arrived, consisting of several disappointed with West Spanish Banks, with one efficiently driving in his wetsuit. :) I left, about 3:30, but according to the graph it continued to die until a return at roughly 5:30pm.

I find Spanish Banks at any medium/high tide to typically be an awkward/dangerous launch. At low tide it's great. Iona island deserves more exploration since on the map it appears to be better exposed to the wind. i.e. Unlike Spanish Banks with is affected by UBC in predominantly west winds. Anyone kite Iona yesterday?
Alan

by Slappy » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:00 pm

Alan wrote:Iona island deserves more exploration since on the map it appears to be better exposed to the wind. i.e. Unlike Spanish Banks with is affected by UBC in predominantly west winds. Anyone kite Iona yesterday?

I kite Iona from time to time, even use it as a teaching spot for friends due to the expanse of shallow water.

I really like kiting at Iona but there are a few issues:
- When the tide is high self launching is difficult. This could be overcome easily if more people kited Iona we could clear off the big sandy spot that gets covered with drift wood (see photo)
- It's about a 10 minute walk to the launch area when the tide is in
- It can be as bad as 20 minute walk to the water at low tide
- Gabe has been told by park rangers he isn't allowed to windsurf there, and he windsurfs on the South side of the sewage outflow. They say it's because of it being a bird sanctuary but I'm not sure it's officially off limits for kiting. I wouldn't ask, just walk 10 minutes and rig.
- On S or SE winds the smell is horrid
- The back of the bay is a "no go" area (red in pic) due to seepage from the bird pond (not the sewage tailing ponds) in to the bay. The water there is black and smells nasty.
- I used to use the washroom building to land via it's big wall's wind shadow but the trees they planted there have grown too big now. Now you'll have to pack up and walk back where you used to be able to kite back (paying special care not to fall in the muck water) with your pump in your backpack.

If Richmond would be willing to let us drive out to the launch on the gravel access road this spot could become the go to spot for kiting.

The wind quality there is very good, but doesn't get the thermal push that Spanish Banks does so when it's light, SB is the better option. If it's pure straight winds though then it's fore sure better.

The quality of the waves is really good. More of a real coastal style wave that breaks with energy. You have to watch out for the breaking ones, even if they are small because they'll slap you off your board real quick. I do tend to hit sand with my fins quite a bit when I'm chasing waves here though.

I fear that if we pushed Richmond on better Iona access they would officially disallow any kiting there.
Attachments
IonaSmell.jpg
IonaSmell.jpg (128.35 KiB) Viewed 9928 times
IonaLaunchIRL.jpg
IonaLaunchIRL.jpg (1.26 MiB) Viewed 9928 times
IonaLaunch.jpg
IonaLaunch.jpg (380.78 KiB) Viewed 9928 times
Iona.jpg
Iona.jpg (180.27 KiB) Viewed 9928 times
Slappy

by Alan » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:43 pm

Thanks Slappy for the excellent post on Iona.
It's good to see your map/photos/pros/cons. :)
Alan

by Alton » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:24 am

A repeat this week?

gspot_tue.jpg
gspot_tue.jpg (37.25 KiB) Viewed 9828 times

gspot_wed.jpg
gspot_wed.jpg (37.17 KiB) Viewed 9828 times
Alton

by Slappy » Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:56 pm

Hmmmm, TAF not looking like it'll be worth taking time off work

Tue 3am W 15
Tue 2pm W 12
Slappy

by Tony360 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:08 pm

Slappy wrote:Hmmmm, TAF not looking like it'll be worth taking time off work

TAF has consistently underestimated the last NWs. I'm going to check Ambleside at dawn because I don't have enough time before work to drive to Spanish Banks and back. I'm sure that terminal is the best bet for stronger wind (but no waves) for those who have time.
Tony360

PreviousNext

Return to Weather Talk and OSR