Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Boundary bay sensor

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by Faceplant » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:50 pm

I cancelled my subscription to ikitesurf. Told them its because no sensor at bbay.
Faceplant

by BCKiter123 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:27 pm

Faceplant wrote:I cancelled my subscription to ikitesurf. Told them its because no sensor at bbay.

Thinking of doing the same. I just don't get it..the demand is there for the sensor and I'm not sure the cause for the delay.
BCKiter123

by bandito » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:05 pm

for you people who pay ikitesurf, maybe you should also tell them to install sensors at other parts of the B bay , point Robert, white rock point? mmm, I guess 12 subscribers at 100$ wouldn't cover that.... I still think Canada Meteorology something would and should install one on the mile marker!
bandito

by BCKiter123 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:28 am

Anybody inquire into Windguru option? https://stations.windguru.cz/

Someone mentioned that they've already spoken to the resident that lives at the base of 3rd avenue and it's ok to install something on his roof? Due to the delays with Ikitesurf/Sailflow, why not just buy a weatherstation on our own? I'm happy to chip in and I'm assuming others would too. I think there's a way to link the live data to this website too. Unless I'm missing something, if we all chipped in to purchase this, it's cheaper than each of us having ongoing long term monthly costs for a subscription to iKitesurf.

What do we think??
BCKiter123

by Faceplant » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:02 pm

The response from them when I cancelled my subscription due to no sensor in BBay was "The building hosting Boundary Bay was demolished and our maintenance team has been trying to secure anew location for the sensor".
I like Ikitesurf, and will join again. Likely in the summer, as Harrison Lake is also available with membership.
The guys at Nicola had a good weather station. I think it was weather underground, Really goog data I thought. Not sure what cost was etc. If I lived at boundary bay I'd offer up a sensor and computer, wifi, web cam and whatever else that could help.
Faceplant

by Michael » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:18 pm

Faceplant wrote:The response from them when I cancelled my subscription due to no sensor in BBay was "The building hosting Boundary Bay was demolished and our maintenance team has been trying to secure anew location for the sensor".

Yes they are trying to find a new location. They thought they had one from a local but it was not on the water front and therefore did not have good exposure to the wind. So they are back to looking for another location. I got an email this morning from the West Coast Operations manager as I'm working with them to try and find a new location. I am pursuing a for potential sites now and if any of you have potential leads let me know as well.
Michael

by C36 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:00 pm

Faceplant wrote:The response from them when I cancelled my subscription due to no sensor in BBay was "The building hosting Boundary Bay was demolished and our maintenance team has been trying to secure anew location for the sensor".

Michael wrote:Yes they are trying to find a new location. They thought they had one from a local but it was not on the water front and therefore did not have good exposure to the wind. So they are back to looking for another location. I got an email this morning from the West Coast Operations manager as I'm working with them to try and find a new location. I am pursuing a for potential sites now and if any of you have potential leads let me know as well.

Thanks M. Appreciate your and anyone else's efforts who are working on this.
C36

by BCKiter123 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:22 pm

C36 wrote:

Michael wrote:Yes they are trying to find a new location. They thought they had one from a local but it was not on the water front and therefore did not have good exposure to the wind. So they are back to looking for another location. I got an email this morning from the West Coast Operations manager as I'm working with them to try and find a new location. I am pursuing a for potential sites now and if any of you have potential leads let me know as well.

Thanks M. Appreciate your and anyone else's efforts who are working on this.

Yeah, thanks guys, much appreciated :)
BCKiter123

by Brian C » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:14 pm

I wonder if the host of the webcam would be willing to have the sensor there? It seems close to the right part of the beach, if it was roof-mounted.
Brian C

by Slappy » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:44 pm

I think that's too far back, it's a few houses off the water. When the webcam used to also have wind data the data was awful.

It's too bad we can't just stick a sensor on top of that pump station. And while we're at it throw one on top of the first dolphin at Spanish Banks too!
Slappy

PreviousNext

Return to Weather Talk and OSR