Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

SE Saturday

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by Michael » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:10 pm

Was feeling disappointed after rigging and getting ready to hit the water just as the wind died. Thankfully Dave checked out Locust and gave me the heads up. Turned out to be a fun day blasting around with Chuck and Dave. Wind was up and down by the time I got out but it was nice when it was on. Almost had my first Kite lesson with Chuck but I chickened out at the last minute as the wind started picking up again. Next time!
Michael

by AdrienGrelon » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:55 am

Kite lesson with Chuck, Michael?! How about a loop clinic instead?? ;) Glad the consistent plan B panned out for you guys.

Massimo, Old Adrian and myself, convinced on a certified skunk at Centennial (after Richi's fine work of jinxing the good forecast), followed Adrian's gut and Francois's forecast analysis on a whim to Nicola Lake. The forecast was calling for late afternoon wind, but naturally we left pre-dawn to maximize our odds of success (and/or birdwatching).

After about 6 hours of standing around, coffee shop runs, checking out the different launches and getting teased on 2-3 "pulses" of wind, a solid wind line finally showed face. Massimo and Adrian were already ready to pack it up as I yelled "RIG" from the shores of Monck park back up to the parking lot. Eager to get our money's worth, we all put on the big stuff: 5.2m, 5.2m, 5.5m and the freestyle sticks. Being slowest to rig, I caught a glimpse of Adrian and Massimo blasting off the shore over a glowing, evening lit lake. The grassy launch of Monck park with the arid desert landscape of Quinchilla on the far side made it feel a lot like Maryhill in the Gorge.

The wind came in streaks. The puffs were anywhere from 15-30knots, at times bobbing, at times almost being catapulted due to too much juice. Sailed for a quick hour before packing up for the drive home. The scenery, mood and a long hiatus since my last real session made it a stoke-filled one for me, but in the words of Massimo "it's still lake sailing". It might be hard to justify another trip there without either a full day 4.2m event and/or 2+ days of sailing w/ camping.

We'll be putting our time and effort towards Columbia Beach for the next far-and-wide chase!
AdrienGrelon

by joeblo » Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:03 pm

Well written little story Adrian. You did real good!
joeblo

by Brian C » Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:32 pm

Good score Adrien. It sounds like you caught one of the many days when it blows only very late at Nicola. On our last 3 day trip there, 2 days were like that and one "delivered the goods" . On the third day it blew from 2pm on, building until about 5pm. Those are the days when it feels like more than "just lake sailing" because a fairly good swell develops too, and it's usually windier and less gusty.
Regardless, glad to see that you got to sail in the very special setting that it is.
BTW, the better conditions and slightly earlier wind usually occur on the other side, so it's best to launch from the windsurfing memorial site (1km before Quilchena, a pullout with a picnic table, plaque about a local sailor, and flagpole) on any day that you'll be driving home anyway. On the days that we camp at Monck, we usually compromise on the sailing a bit by launching from the upwind end of Monck campground. We always try to camp in the old area, to provide easy sailing access from our campsite.
Brian C

by Michael » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:37 pm

AdrienGrelon wrote:Kite lesson with Chuck, Michael?! How about a loop clinic instead??
Ha, sorry from now on I'm not talking about looping until I loop. Glad you had a good time a Nicola, it can be hit and miss but a lot of fun when you hit it. I'm looking forward to that first Columbia Beach session of the year!! Hope to see you out at Centennial before that though. I think you and the boys would have a good time down at Locust with your freestyle sticks!
Michael

by Faceplant » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:14 pm

I heard it's been a lackluster year at Nicola this year. Hoping Locust is about to crank out some strong days. Double bluff was my favorite last year.
Faceplant

by AdrienGrelon » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:21 pm

joeblo wrote:Well written little story Adrian. You did real good!

Thanks, gramps! Hope you are over your cold/flu now.

Brian C wrote:BTW, the better conditions and slightly earlier wind usually occur on the other side, so it's best to launch from the windsurfing memorial site (1km before Quilchena, a pullout with a picnic table, plaque about a local sailor, and flagpole)

We checked out the memorial launch as well and had been advised about it typically offering better wind, but Monck park offered better birdwatching conditions for the 6 hours we stood around!

I can see how the water state could get "Gorge-like" on a good push of wind.

Michael wrote:
AdrienGrelon wrote:Kite lesson with Chuck, Michael?! How about a loop clinic instead??
Ha, sorry from now on I'm not talking about looping until I loop. Glad you had a good time a Nicola, it can be hit and miss but a lot of fun when you hit it. I'm looking forward to that first Columbia Beach session of the year!! Hope to see you out at Centennial before that though. I think you and the boys would have a good time down at Locust with your freestyle sticks!

Pack a helmet, life vest and some ear plugs for the next Columbia trip and we'll get you looping. The setup there is ideal.

My policy for Centennial is it has to be a really, really big forecast (like the last one I scored on). Definitely keen to try out Locust on the next non-Columbia SE day. A session there is well overdue for me and the setup looks super fun!
AdrienGrelon

by gabrielb » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:09 am

Columbia beach looks great on Friday 9am-1pm, windy 20+.
gabrielb

Previous

Return to Weather Talk and OSR