Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Nitinat Lake - First Trip

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by mjamero » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:37 pm

What are the campsites like as for as layout, size, and space? Is there space for a Van, a 10x10 Sun shelter as well as space to leave your gear out and rigged? Is it a campsite with lots similar to a Provincial Camp site style? Or, is it just drive up to the lake shore grab what ever space there is and do your thing? Can you reserve a campsite? Anyone have some photos of the camping conditions to share? Thanks!
mjamero

by Slappy » Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:18 pm

Reserve a camp site? Good luck with that. This is the wild west of camping, all the Indian Band cares about is collecting their money.

The camp sites are gravel and some what bleak. If you are tenting bring a thick thermarest or go camp by the water if you can find a spot. There are no tables, bring a pop up.

While the camp sites are spacious on busy weekends people usually pack in 2 groups sharing 1 site so be prepared to share. Parking is very limited on the water front loop because of all the people that camp on the beach.

Pole dancing gear stays rigged on the beach so you don't have to lug it back and forth. I don't think theft is a problem but I kite so I don't have to leave my kit there.
Slappy

by Richi » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:25 pm

You need to lighten up Slappy, stop pissing on everyone's parade.
Richi

by C36 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:52 pm

mjamero wrote:What are the campsites like as for as layout, size, and space? Is there space for a Van, a 10x10 Sun shelter as well as space to leave your gear out and rigged? Is it a campsite with lots similar to a Provincial Camp site style? Or, is it just drive up to the lake shore grab what ever space there is and do your thing? Can you reserve a campsite? Anyone have some photos of the camping conditions to share? Thanks!

C36

by Randal » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:49 pm

Thanks for the pics Dave, can't wait to get up there! Definitely a favourite destination for Trisha and I!
Randal

by Slappy » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:15 pm

Richi wrote:You need to lighten up Slappy, stop pissing on everyone's parade.

I'm just telling it the way I've experienced it, I'm not trying to be negative.

I'm planning a Nitnat trip this summer so I'm not against the place, just trying to keep people's expectations realistic.

One of the best things about Nitnat is the camp site literally never fills up, the places to pitch a tent just get worse and worse.
Slappy

by Slappy » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:07 am

Hey Alton, why does your Nitinat temp grid use Tofino instead of Ucluelet?
Slappy

by Alton » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:15 am

Slappy wrote:Hey Alton, why does your Nitinat temp grid use Tofino instead of Ucluelet?

No reason except I was told the differential between the coast and Nitinat is a major factor so I randomly picked Tofino. Ucluelet may be a better choice.
Alton

by Alton » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:19 am

Changed Tofino to Ucluelet

See temp.php?station=nitinaht
Alton

by mjamero » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:40 am

Lots of great info so far.Those pictures are perfect! One photo shows a campsite with a picnic table. I thought it was barebones? Is there a First Nations camp site office or somewhere you need to check in? You mentioned they are only interested in collecting their money? Hmm...extreme but fare enough. How much is it for a site and where do you pay?

I've talked to a few people in person about Nitinaht. They all have said leaving a couple days early in the middle of the week is pretty important. Does this mean planning for a typical three-day weekend trip is not realistic? Some off us work and need to plan ahead for these things. :D What is a realistic minimum number of days for Nitnaht for a first timer coming from the Lower Mainland?

Obviously going in bad weather is no fun. How early before you leave can you tell if it's a go or not?
mjamero

PreviousNext

Return to Weather Talk and OSR