Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Saturday SE

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by AdrienGrelon » Sat May 28, 2016 9:36 pm

Gonna need to pour myself something stronger than this PBR after reading those reports... Glad to hear big Chuck was bringing the loop-fest :D I'd have done the same ;) I'm kicking myself big time. :cry: This is what I get for being a Centennial-forecast-non-believer...
AdrienGrelon

by Brian C » Sat May 28, 2016 10:03 pm

Couldn't quite bring myself to stop on the way home from the Gorge today, but glad everyone had a good local session. Six days straight of Gorge sailing in good wind and warm sun was hard to beat. Mokka and I sailed Rowena on Sunday after the swap, then two days at Dougs, then three days straight at Roosevelt! Best day was Thursday on 3.7 in huge swell on the Arlington side of Roosevelt. 23 degrees C and 35-40 Knots is pretty hard to beat! :D
Brian C

by Ryancr500 » Sat May 28, 2016 11:06 pm

What a day!! Started off at Centennial with my 94l/5.3 I was Immediately overpowered but thought I would hang on for a while. Came in for a gear changed and detoured to the boat launch to avoid a long walk or a fin breaking shallow water gamble. Rigged my 4.5 and kept the 94l Great wind and great waves. Saw some of Chucks forwards.. they looked good. I wasn't feeling too daring, just really stoked to be on the water. Came back in for a final board change to the 74 Evo. Had a few more wave rides and then felt it get a little light. Pretty awesome day overall and great to see everyone (well almost) taking advantage of it.
Ryancr500

by LeopardSkin » Sat May 28, 2016 11:20 pm

76 litre & 4.7 were just right! Nice steady 25.1 to 27.9 knots with waist-high smoothies. First time sailing in 2 months!!
LeopardSkin

by LeopardSkin » Sun May 29, 2016 2:20 pm

PS. There still are weeds.
LeopardSkin

by C36 » Sun May 29, 2016 5:52 pm

Bob and go. Silly job kept me off the water until late afternoon. Then DB's OSR's and memories of BB sensor underreporting on south wind drew be down to the boat ramp just in time to see him walking back in. The wind started to rebound in earnest, but the long walk and his description of choppy water had me head for the Marina Breakwall in search of more playful water, a more convenient launch and the possibility of the SUP. I wasn't sure I was going to be taking to the water at all when I first arrived as it looked flat and light, but the wind freshened and water started to dance a little. Started out windsurfing and wind was unsettled, strongest just out past Lighthouse Park, but the flooding tide, even though gentle made getting back around the horn a bit challenging. Wind got really light on the way back so grabbed the SUP and caught a few rides from the dolphins into the sand beach in the lee of the breakwall. Caught most of my target waves and got a few modest short little rides. Then the wind started to freshen again so went back to windsurf to finish it off. Fun in the gusts, but still unsettled. Got spooked by breaching Sea Lion who then looked me over and grumpily scolded me as he barked me away. The wind in the distance travelling east of Lilly Point looked slightly stronger than where I was and the BB graph makes it look like it may have been.

I had always guessed that the often unsettle south wind at Boundary Bay was the result of the wind travelling around Point Roberts to reach Boundary Bay, but the south wind was just as unsettled here too (small little torqueing gusts and shifting wind).

Took a quick look at low tide set up at Gulf Road and it was pretty unremarkable. Meant to take a quick look at Lily Point at low tide from the bluff, but slipped my mind as I headed home. Must not have been needed.

Gallery of graphs and one iPhone shot.
C36

by gabrielb » Sun May 29, 2016 9:06 pm

With KD we stayed until no more waves at 2 pm. Saturna went under 25 knots. SUP would've been good 1 to 2 pm.Posted at home after by 3pm to avoid if waves were expected as system seemed to be ahead by 2 hours, South wind was mild too.

Aside today was not enough for SUP as sisters was way under 20 knots, ebb tide after 1 pm, reached 0.5m as hb 20 knots, otherwise would've been decent for WB with small waves. No WB or aside.
gabrielb

by Faceplant » Mon May 30, 2016 11:53 am

Couple of pics from Saturday. Tried following a wind surfer while my go pro was charged, in hopes of catching some action. Pretty tough to keep up. Got a thumbs up from Michael I think it was at one point but cam was off.
Attachments
backside.PNG
Fun rollers
backside.PNG (953.08 KiB) Viewed 8162 times
Jumper.PNG
Unknown
Jumper.PNG (340.75 KiB) Viewed 8162 times
Faceplant

by Alton » Mon May 30, 2016 12:29 pm

Faceplant wrote:Couple of pics from Saturday. Tried following a wind surfer while my go pro was charged, in hopes of catching some action. Pretty tough to keep up. Got a thumbs up from Michael I think it was at one point but cam was off.

The unknown jumper is Lubo who was smacking the ramps all morning.

That's an awesome picture of the wave quality on Saturday.

Adrien - see what you missed! We're not "embellishing" the conditions on Saturday.
Alton

by AdrienGrelon » Mon May 30, 2016 1:46 pm

WTFBC....

Holy shite that first pic looks clean... Centennial, you are a cruel mistress. :cry:
AdrienGrelon

PreviousNext

Return to Weather Talk and OSR