Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Westerly Wednesday?

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by gabrielb » Wed May 04, 2016 3:26 pm

C36, detail desc of surf:

i got to Wb at 5:45am. at 13ft tide surf break was breaking twice, not good. break, roll, break again without continuation, which hinted that a tide of 15-14ft was needed for that 1.2m+strong local wind(20 knots+, and holes all over).

I stuck to the left, pass the breakers, got a few rides, but by then tide was falling to 12 ft, even worse, now waves were breaking multiple times. KD stuck to the right of wreck beach, that was smart as there is sand bank there and a break, but waves were too broken up by 11ft tide.

A surfer ran towards the spit, probably he knows of a break to the right of it (and its boulders/rocks). About 6 surfers in total. Could not see a clean ride from anybody from distance, except George.

by 10ft tide it was chaos. 3 over 5 stars for this session. I got some rides, it had so much potential.
gabrielb

by Slappy » Wed May 04, 2016 3:34 pm

Be careful for boulders as there were two large ones that stuck out a few hundred meters North of the East tower, it was soft and sandy in all the spots I touched down on though.
Slappy

by Michael » Wed May 04, 2016 3:46 pm

gabrielb wrote:I saw M bang off more than a few back loop attempts to port

Saw you go for a few as well Dave! Lots of fun today but for me the wind and waves weren't setting up great for jumping. I did get in some great wave rides though and got in some nice slashy turns on the Quad. Session ended with a bone crunching catapult, seriously could feel the bones cracking in my upper back and neck. Thought I was going to have some serious whiplash! Feels OK now but I'll see what happens tomorrow.

Sheet in and commit to the catapult! That'll have your mast missing the nose, and it's good practice for forward loops ;)
AdrienGrelon
Thats exactly what I did, cleared the nose but landed hard on my back with some serious force, so much I snapped my harness line!! :o :o Ouch!
There were some BIG swells on the outside like Dave mentioned and I got a few sweet jibes in out there. The chop at the outer sand bar was crazy though when the tide dropped!
Fun day and great practice for the Coast!!
Michael

by Brian C » Wed May 04, 2016 3:58 pm

Thanks again to C36 and Michael for the early-bird posts. I raced over and got a great session from just before 830 to just after 10, at which point it was getting treacherously shallow. 4.5/88l was a bit much at the start but perfect for playing in the waves at the end. One of the few sailors there was visiting from San Fran and said this was every bit as good as at home! If he'd been there on an epic day he might have been tempted to move north. :D
Brian C

by gabrielb » Wed May 04, 2016 4:01 pm

Michael, I would've liked to have written that, and have watched some windsurfing action today.

Unlucky that surf and wind overlap. As it would be neat to seat down (coffee and doughnut on hand of course, let's make it a bacon doughnut for Dave's sake) and enjoy the live show of you guys sailing (donation can optional).
gabrielb

by Alton » Wed May 04, 2016 4:17 pm

Epic day at Acadia. Tom and I launched 6:30am at Spanish Banks on 7m+surfboard and worked our way up to Acadia. It was the usual high tide chop but half way between Spanish Banks and dog beach had the cleanest waves - out by the freighter the waves were head high so I spent the early hours there.

Tom had to leave after an hour so I was riding solo. Very lonely ... until Slappy arrived then I headed upwind back to Acadia to find Rob W and the windsurfing crew (Michael, Dave/C36, Brian, Richard ...). First time I've seen windsurfers out number kiters. Lots of fun sharing the waves with everyone. Waist high with smooth 40' spacing. Most of the time I was overpowered on my 7m with 100% depower. When my footstrap came loose I returned to Spanish Banks for a break at 10am.

By 11am drove up to dog beach and returned to Acadia on 9m+surfboard to kite with Clay, James, Lane and Sam but no more windsurfers. Lane was killing it with strapless aerials - what a show! With the low tide waves were jacked up to some awesome shoulder high breaking waves ... endless fun.

By 12:30pm my body was drained so I called it a day after 5 hours TOW.

Jericho_Wed_May_4.gif
Jericho_Wed_May_4.gif (17.32 KiB) Viewed 7742 times
Alton

by mjamero » Wed May 04, 2016 5:54 pm

Awesome session at Locarno. On the water from 10:30 to 2:30. It was pretty cranking for the first couple hours. As a progressing windsurfer today was a great day. The morning was at the edge but still within my limit. This is where we learn; at the edge. My goal was to waterstart today. I am excited to say I nailed 3 deep waterstarts. Maybe not a lot to some of you but a big deal for me. I feel like I got a peak through the window to the "other side" of windsurfing today. Special thanks to Craig and Johnny this morning for some waterstarting tips and keeping an eye out on me. I got caught in the chop for a while. For a while it was too rough to uphaul but I still was not nailing every waterstart. Fortunately the current was not too strong. We'll get there.

5.3 was a good sail size but could have dropped to a 5.0 and still been fine. I REALLY need a smaller board for days like this.

First couple hours there were just three windsurfers at Locarno. By about noon Kiters were out including Philippe from Airtime.
mjamero

Previous

Return to Weather Talk and OSR