Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Squamish Sunday

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by LeopardSkin » Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:44 pm

Alton wrote:Can't believe I'm missing another Mag99 session!

:(
LeopardSkin

by Craig » Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:30 pm

Great 1st day of the season. Sailed from Nexen. Solid 5.4 ut could have been on 5.0 when i came in.
Lets hope for many more!
Chilly water with the runoff.

Craig.
Craig

by AdrienGrelon » Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:58 pm

Awesome day! 4.8m all day, was lit to a fraction too much at times. The glass flatwater was on all day as of 1pm. Excellent windsurfer turnout with everyone busting a high number of moves per minute. I got my first fully planing spock 540s, so that was good :D

Unfortunately there were a few poor-mannered kiters dangling above crowded waters (take that sh!t upwind, please - I don't need to take a twintip falling out of the sky onto my face) and S-turners in the flats, with not a care in the world about shoulder-checking or anyone else's line except for their own....

For any kiters reading this, 90% of the time when you are downwind and on the same run as a windsurfer heading towards the flat water/edge of the sand bank, the windsurfer will want/need the space downwind to transition - make it clear what you are planning on doing, and please be aware of who's around you. Short-tacking to hog the flats is as lame as short-tacking to hog the honey hole, except I guess in the honey hole you'd hear it from other kiters, not windsurfers. Also, charging straight downwind (straight into the river along the flats) with absolutely no f@#$s to give about anyone else and cutting off dozens of windsurfers and other kiters in the process is pretty lame. If you're gonna do that, look around and pick a moment when you are not gonna ruin anyone else's line - it's common sense really. I don't think most of the bad etiquette witnessed today was poor intent, more just lack of awareness... - look around, be aware of what's going on, try to be courteous and anticipate. It's kind of like driving a car safely. /rantover
AdrienGrelon

by Brian C » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:09 pm

Had a great double-sport day: snowboarded for a couple hours at Cypress then headed straight to Nexen and sailed way-powered 5.0 for another couple of hours. Bit choppy off Nexen, but butter-smooth in the river mouth (with wild current), brilliant sun and huge smiles all around.
Stopped at Porteau on the way home for a look and it was looking like good 6.0/100l conditions there, with zero kiters in the way! That's another one on my bucket list, for another day.

:D
Brian C

by C36 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:43 pm

Marine layer. Woke up to `fog` and checked the satellite image and there was clear blue sky inland. Looks like a good day. Graph broke 20 mph about 11 am (about an hour earlier than other days this week). DB texted that is looked like 25 at the spit just as I was driving out the gravel road. As we were deciding what to rig I decided to go big (5.3/115) and DB one size down (4.7/105). Once out on the water I was well powered but not overpowered at first. The river was soooooooo flat. And the flat extended out to the mouth of the river (like the chop was being held back by a shallow lip. Just beyond the lip there were over knee high, tightly packed, hydraulics that kept you on your toes. The flat water inside allowed for 'practice' in both directions. It wasn't long before the 5.3 was feeling a little too big: more downhaul and outhaul to delay the sail change. But eventually I went in and grabbed a snack and 4.5 and smaller fin. That felt better and I was glad because the later afternoon seemed to bring on some stronger wind. That's when Massimo sailed over to the sand bar with the camera-on-a-stick and the spin/crash feeding frenzy began (kites and poles). Busier than last weekend with kites and windsurfers in the river (DB, Mike, AJ, AG, Massimo, Ryan, Jen, Adam, and a few others). Funny to use 4.5 twice in a row at Squamish. Fun Sunday afternoon that!

Gallery (better for mobile devices)
Slideshow
C36

by Michael » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:54 pm

Looks like a nice but crowded day at the spit and from the sounds of Adrien's post the usual traffic jam with some rude drivers in the river. Thanks for the pics Dave. Looking forward to my first day in the river.
Michael

by Mike » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:56 pm

Had a few first world troubles to shake but other than that a good day. Great turn out. Wow was that windy and BUSY in the river. Could have been July, not early April. Hopefully a sign of a windy summer.
Mike

by 8mdude » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:02 pm

Serge you seemed so natural flying a kite. Don't forget your roots if ever turn into the dark side.

You know I have not forgotten my roots.
8mdude

by Slappy » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:19 pm

Great day at the Spit today, my first of the season. A bit gusty, especially on the Spit it's self but out on the water it was manageable. Well powered on the 10m the TT most of the day. Had a nice gust give me one of my highest ever Squamish boost in the river today.

Saw a nasty 1x4 that was about 8 feet long sitting nail side up on the second sandbar today, 4 inch rusty nails sticking up every 2 feet. That thing will end your day quickly.
Slappy

by ShonanDB » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:05 pm

First time launching from the Spit in years. Got there around noon but took my time getting on the water. Rigged 4.7 and took the 101L with a 22cm fin - perfectly dialed to a hand full by 3:30PM when I had to leave. Got a good feel for the board finally and was thinking of switching down to my 73L but the current would have been a challenge so I stayed with the bigger board. Sailed with C36, Mike, AG, and a bunch of others. Really busy from 2pm on and had to "thread the needle" and test how shallow I could go a few times to avoid others. Great day and traffic was good all the way back. Next up - waves! Targeting LB April 22 - 25th then Southern Oregon at the end of June.
DB
ShonanDB

PreviousNext

Return to Weather Talk and OSR