Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Saturday?

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by ShonanDB » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:10 pm

Both BB and YVR sensors just jumped to 25 with gusts in the mid 30s from the SE. Not enough time to get to the beach, rig and be on the water for me today but maybe tomorrow afternoon.
ShonanDB

by Michael » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:19 pm

Great to see everyone out at Centennial today! Didn't last long but after things kicked in it was great before it went to far South. Highlight of the day was following Mike out after that squall hit and hitting those ramps together! Woo Hoo, wish we'd got a photo of that! :D I lost my nerve when the sun came out though and thought it was going to tank so I headed back in. Dave I hope you got some of that action, I lost you when the squall hit. At first it was full on smoke on the water but I stuck it out with the 5.2. It must have been crazy on that 6.0.
Michael

by Brian C » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:46 pm

Yes it was great to get the year started with a good turnout and fairly warm conditions. Centennial took good timing today but it was fun from mid-morning to late lunch - albeit a little masochistic with the shifty wind and gusts. Feeling beat up from holding the 5m during that squall but it was fun watching Mike impersonate Dale Cook! Happy New Year everyone.
Brian C

by AdrienGrelon » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:11 pm

Jamie and I first hit the water just as it tanked, around 1pm, so we were a little choked. After an hour of chilling in the cafe or so, things started picking up again, so we decided to do a downwinder from 3rd to the cafe.

Our downwinder turned into 30 minutes of glory. By the end, I was completely OP on my chopper xl (5.7ish) and so was Jamie on his 7m kite. Hit two monster jumps, one of which I had to eject out of. Was having some technical issues with my booties and regretted my mits, so 30mins was probably the most I could've handled today. Jamie didn't even have booties, Kenya style.

Overall, a fantastic welcome back session after 5 months off due to my hand injury/surgery. Time to cut up a small freestyle fin and finally land some vulcans!
AdrienGrelon

by C36 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:53 pm

A few shots from today (Jan 11) - mostly Point Roberts at dawn (there was wind when I arrived) - to bad it didn't last. :roll: Still nice to get out (and yes M the 6.0/110 was a handful, but nice to get the 4.5/84 out for a few minutes too). All good. :D

FULL SIZE. No Flickr login? Try this
C36

by Alton » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:51 pm

Point Roberts - Dead on arrival so we (Dave/C36, Mike and I) left for Centennial

Centennial - Wind shadow inside and shifty and gusty S to SE 20-30 from 11am to 1pm. 5.2/93L was a handful but swell was nice outside. Enjoyed by Dave/C36, Mike, Michael, Tony/LeopardSkin, Peter/timedog, Maryam/babymama, Brad, Brian C, Johnny, AJ, John M, Richard, Adrian, Adrien ...
So nervous when wind shifted side-offshore some of us left for White Rock.

White Rock - Dead on arrival (2pm) but Jordan, Brad Russell, Lubo score an hour. After 3pm the wind came back SE to SW 20g25 (5.2/93L) and enjoyed by AJ, Richi, Tony/LeopardSkin, Johnny, Maryam/babymama ... Worked hard with closely spaced disorganized wave heading out but smooth (still tightly spaced) wave inbound.

Boundary Bay Sat Jan 11.jpeg
Boundary Bay Sat Jan 11.jpeg (60.64 KiB) Viewed 8282 times

White Rock Sat Jan 11.jpeg
White Rock Sat Jan 11.jpeg (78.54 KiB) Viewed 8282 times
Alton

by AdrienGrelon » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:10 am

Glad to hear the move to white rock worked out. When we saw it start to crank SE again we figured you guys might've made a bad call.

Not sure how it's been for weeds this year, but there wasn't a single strand of weed in sight today for me.
AdrienGrelon

Previous

Return to Weather Talk and OSR