Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Sunday westerly

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by C36 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:45 pm

Faceplant wrote:Sounds like it was awesome here in town!
Whidbey was pretty good too. Not insane, but very good.
Pre-planned parenting protocol meant we weren't out the door till around 9am. Got to west beach at 11. It was full on. 20-25 kts with lots of whitewater. Most guys on 6 and 7's with surf boards. One dude on 10 meter twin tip boosting huge. I went on 9m rebel. Outside there were some serious rollers. I'm not kidding when I say they were triple over waist. :D
Inside sections were smooth with small rollers coming thru. Low tide meant for easy entrance. Lots of people. Windy all day long. Pretty awesome to be out there and watching these mackers roll in. Feels like total exposure. Once away from shore 100 meters the water is very clean. Loved it.

Alton wrote:Totally jealous. Those Whidbey waves look amazing!!!

+1
I also read some logs from LB that made me a touch envious too. Glad some hit both!

Moved from the Easter Monday thread (originally posted there in error).

Afternoon shift. Off to morning Easter Sunday service with the family then down to the beach for about 1 pm to hit the afternoon shift. Thanks to DB for the OSR - reports of mid-4's and smaller boards had me rig 4.5/92 in the hope of catching the tail end. Some nice vertical ramps at first. Saw DaveB rotate a really nice elliptical back look on kite! My small set-up worked for a little while then it backed and spun to the SW. Igor pulled the plug and Nicolas didn't look too keen as it really felt like the end, but I rigged 5.3/115 and walked up to the Upper Acadia again for a second try. Just enough power to get going at first and the wind wave angle felt like it was 45 degrees and wave spacing really tightened up (so it was likely closer to 30). You had your choice of ramps to port (but had to time your moment to get up enough speed in the tight packs) and on the way in there were some nice mini-faces to back off on the outside and some frontside ties on the waist high wind swell coming back in (given the sideoff wind/wave angle). Nicolas and few kites joined in. Fun set-up in the sun! The wind kept filling in and by 4 pm was I able to take the 4.5/92 out for another blast before racing off for Easter dinner. Good thing I wasn't cooking Easter dinner or it would have been KFC! :P Pretty special day all around!

Gallery (better for mobile devices)
slideshow
C36

Previous

Return to Weather Talk and OSR