Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

SE Wednesday

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by C36 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:26 pm

gabrielb wrote:C36 started it so I 'll finish it... there is no way to sugar coat this ...

This is HB right now 0.8m

in 4 hours you'll see HB at 1.6M as the Southern strait lines up with the Northern strait :shock: by 6pm , much better waves coming soon for CB.

Yeah that is right about 5:30/6 pm when the incoming tide will hit the 4 m 'sweet spot' and Udderland may open for business ~ hope the Mutts are on it!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
C36

by AdrienGrelon » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:54 pm

Me watching the CB cam right now:

AdrienGrelon

by mparkes » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:53 pm

I'm heading out now... anyone want to hit 72nd?
mparkes

by Michael » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:26 pm

AdrienGrelon wrote:Me watching the CB cam right now:

Should have left work early and hit Centennial. :!: :idea: From around 5 on things really started taking shape out there! The start was nice too, great to see Richi and Mike down there and glad Dave showed up to sail with me until the end. Things flattened out when the tide came in but then the waves built up nicely when the wind hit 30 knots. Sailed on the 5.2 102 for the first few hours then went down to the 4.7 80.
Sailed over 4 hours and I'm feeling it now. It was hard to leave those waves but I didn't have anything left in me by 6. Not epic but super fun session.
Michael

by Alton » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:31 pm

AdrienGrelon wrote:Me watching the CB cam right now:

Forget CB. You missed a great session in Boundary Bay
Alton

by Roxstock » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:43 pm

Fun session at 3rd. Perfectly powered on my 9m from 3:45-4:45. Over powered from 4:45-5:45. The guys on 7m were having the most fun at the end. I was surprised at how few people were there for the sunset shift.
Roxstock

by Alton » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:15 pm

Marathon session at 3rd Ave from 12pm to 5:30pm. Started on 9m+surfboard in playful SSE 25 riding with Rob W, Clay, Lorne, Luke and 3 others. Small knee high breaking waves best formed upwind of Centennial.

At 2pm switched to 7m in SSE 25-30 but waves got even better. Clean waist high breakers nicely spaced. Best upwind of Centennial and disorganized towards 3rd and the boat launch. So much fun riding switch and smacking waves just before they break. Only a few unfortunate waves closed out on me - ouch. New arrivals included Chalmers, Steve, Chuck, Andrew, Roxstock/Mark, Tweegster/Jeff and about 6 others.

By 4:30pm tide was high and wind ramped up to SE 30 for some classic Boundary Bay conditions. Big ramps and rollers slightly disorganized but plenty of clean waves for hero gybes.

Fatigue set in (started seeing double) so I called it a day at 5:30pm.

Nice sharing the waves with our hard core windsurfing comrades Michael, C36, Richi and Mike.

Boundary_Bay_Wed_Mar_23.gif
Boundary_Bay_Wed_Mar_23.gif (23.34 KiB) Viewed 7720 times
Last edited by Alton on Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alton

by C36 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:30 pm

Better than average. Interesting mid-week pulse of afternoon wind that snuck up on me. Started out light and built (just as WindGuru GFS predicted). Felt a little awkward on the slightly-too-big-gear (5.3/115) but felt quite at home on the smaller stuff (4.5/92). A lot of pointing on the flooding tide, but the swell stepped up and allowed for some mini-rides (a few memorable ones). Jumps could be had, but wind was bending (more south near the beach and more SE further out) making it feel like you were sailing a bit of a header most of the time and making jumping a bit of work. Some flat back loop attempts early on and some mini-floaters later on. Glad Mike lead the charge today! Nice to see Richi return to the water and see Alton out there! Fun trading frontside tries with M!

Pre-Session OSR

Gallery (better for mobile devices)
Slideshow
C36

by Faceplant » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:20 am

Locust.PNG
Locust.PNG (33.56 KiB) Viewed 7552 times
First time I found Locust to be gusty. It wasn't Nicola Lake gusty, but it was definitely up and down (15-30 I'd guess). 9 meter rebel was good for most of it. Some of the super gusts were challenging. I usually leave my dog at the beach. This time everyone left the beach so she followed someone up to the parking lot. I noticed she was gone so I cut my session short. As I was packing up DJ from Kite Paddle Surf came down with her. I was thankful that no one decided to "rescue" her. I need to put a tag on her that reads "I am supposed to be at the Beach". Or maybe just tie her up from now on, but that aint no fun!
Faceplant

by C36 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:44 am

Faceplant wrote:First time I found Locust to be gusty. It wasn't Nicola Lake gusty, but it was definitely up and down (15-30 I'd guess). 9 meter rebel was good for most of it. Some of the super gusts were challenging. I usually leave my dog at the beach. This time everyone left the beach so she followed someone up to the parking lot. I noticed she was gone so I cut my session short. As I was packing up DJ from Kite Paddle Surf came down with her. I was thankful that no one decided to "rescue" her. I need to put a tag on her that reads "I am supposed to be at the Beach". Or maybe just tie her up from now on, but that aint no fun!

FP: Glad you were reunited with your puppy. Thanks for the Locust report - always nice to hear what happened there. Wednesday I decided on CNL as WindGuru GFS had a promising forecast for CNL and mid-afternoon actuals were only showing Locust having a 5 mph premium (likely less as the Locust sensor on top of a house on top of a bluff seems to read a little high relative to the on water wind). Funny you have been treated to 'steady' wind at Locust, my first several sessions where were three-sail-size days, but windsurfing is likely more sensitive to variable wind speed than kites. Thanks again for the report. Hope our paths cross on the water again soon! :D
C36

Previous

Return to Weather Talk and OSR