Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

High wind gear solution

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by Mike » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:36 am

We've had a number of really high wind days last fall and this spring (think 40-50 last week) Some years we get this others we don't. So having the optimal gear for the minority of days is of question.

I have a solution! :idea: (See photo below). I understand the amount of weight can be adjusted for wind strength. For the obvious problem I also understand there are ditchable versions. ;)

dui.weight.belt.harness.jpg
dui.weight.belt.harness.jpg (17.13 KiB) Viewed 5182 times
Mike

by C36 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:58 am

Personally never worn one, but when I used to race there were some lighter sailors who did. Liberty makes a windsurfing specific weight jacket and looks like Antoine Albeau used it to break the world speed record with a speed of over 100 kmh.

If it were me I think I would try and get something that has neutral buoyancy (uses water for weight), to minimize the 'sink like a rock' affect.
C36

by Mike » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:46 pm

Ha! Although I really wasn't serious though I thought the idea might have some limited merit. Cancelled the patent process. Looks like we may be into a light wind stretch so maybe helium attachments would be more appropriate. Think helium in kite bladder :idea:
Mike

by Brian C » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:17 pm

It's true. Smaller guys used to wear water-filled jackets on super windy days so they could hold onto bigger race sails. Not sure if it really worked but they were fairly common on the World Cup circuit. The key is that they are water filled so you don't drown!
Brian C

Return to Weather Talk and OSR