Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Sunday SE to E

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by 8mdude » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:34 pm

Alton, we made a good call not going to Acadia today for Westerly wind that never showed up.

Maybe will show up tomorrow AM :-).
8mdude

by Alton » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:43 pm

amanlig wrote:Alton, we made a good call not going to Acadia today for Westerly wind that never showed up.

Maybe will show up tomorrow AM :-).

Agreed. A triple session would've been pure gluttony
Alton

by Chuck » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:13 pm

:D :D :D
Windsurfing is AWESOME!

Full on Hour of Power (well, closer to 40 minutes of Freedom for me by the time I hit the water!) with Michael and C36.

Can someone please post a graph of the wind at 3rd today, especially after 5 pm? I can honestly say I'm not sure if I've ever had a windier session! It was unreal, bordering on the unsailable :shock: Fortunately cooler heads prevailed, the stoke returned and hoots and hollers shared between us all. Shared the hate and it was fuuuuun, led to debates on just how windy it was in the gusts.

Came damn close on a big Fat backloop and was getting giddy with expectation when the wind shifted side-off to SW at the end which would have provided unreal DTL opportunities on the waves that were hitting the sand banks on the flooding tide....

Unfortunately it was not to be, no Unicorn sightings today but man does it feel good to get a good pole board session in. Stoked :) :) :)
Chuck

by Chuck » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:16 pm

Chuck wrote::D :D :D
Windsurfing is AWESOME!

Full on Hour of Power (well, closer to 40 minutes of Freedom for me by the time I hit the water!) with Michael and C36.

Can someone please post a graph of the wind at 3rd today, especially after 5 pm? I can honestly say I'm not sure if I've ever had a windier session! It was unreal, bordering on the unsailable :shock: Fortunately cooler heads prevailed, the stoke returned and hoots and hollers shared between us all. Shared the hate and it was fuuuuun, led to debates on just how windy it was in the gusts.

Came damn close on a big Fat backloop and was getting giddy with expectation when the wind shifted side-off to SW at the end which would have provided unreal DTL opportunities on the waves that were hitting the sand banks on the flooding tide....

Unfortunately it was not to be, no Unicorn sightings today but man does it feel good to get a good pole board session in. Stoked :) :) :)

Edit: Just saw Alton's graph on the last page which cuts off at 5 pm with the 40 gusting to 50..yep, that's about right, as this 230lbs of fun was sailing on a 3.5 :D :o
Chuck

by Alton » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:29 pm

BB.gif
BB.gif (25.79 KiB) Viewed 8592 times
Alton

by AdrienGrelon » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:43 pm

Crikey!

Note to self: Checking the forecast on Friday and making the call to leave gear LOCKED up at work for the WHOLE weekend is a bad move. Last night I had a dream I hit an epic frontside cutback at Centennial - must've been a sign. Good thing I'm still rolling on Thursday morning's stoke!

Good to hear you brought a knife to the knife party, big Chuck. The race is on for the first mainlander (excluding Dan ;) ) to stick a backie! Is it me, or is 2016 turning into "06"?? :D
AdrienGrelon

by C36 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:11 pm

Backdraft. Michael looked to be managing his 3.8 when I arrived at the boat ramp so I rigged 3.6/74.

By the time I got to the waters edge it was smoke on the water upwind. Yesh! Control sailing from the start and then it got crazy windy. Graph doesn't show what it was like out on the water (it was over 40 mph and then ramped up from there, way up). This is about when Chuck showed up and he was lit on 3.5! A few controlled jibes in the mid-sized waves over the second bank (some actually sucessful) and a few stock floaters. Anything else was just beyond reasonable. Saw Chuck embrace the unreasonable the throw a few endos! Even with being as gentle with the rig as possible, there were moments when the rig would backdraft (overpower, backwind, and slam back toward me) - more than a little unnerving to say the least.

Swung by Gabriel's Beach for a 'look-see' and was hoping to find waves glassing off - not quite - it was full onshore crank with uber dramatic evening light!

Gallery (better for mobile devices)
Slideshow
C36

by ShonanDB » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:27 pm

Headed to PR after Locust switched and arrived around 4:30 and it was nuking straight on shore. It was windier than the last 2 times I was there and I didn't even attempt to take the gear out. Took some pictures and video and Gabriel and another surfer were coming off the water saying it was chaotic even by the jetty. Waves were breaking everywhere with the low tide - it was intense. Drove over to Maple Beach to have a look as I thought the walk would be less than the Boat Launch or 3rd but the water was still a long ways out so I headed over to Gulf Road to take a look and there were nice, ride-able waist to chest high sets peeling in from about 30m out. Forgot my 3.0m at home so decided to surf instead but by the time I finished putting on my wetsuit it had veered to SSW and was side on backing off from the 40 knot onslaught to about 30 knots +/-. Rigged my 4.2 and took out my 73L and sailed until about 7PM then grabbed the surfboard and caught a few rides before it got too dark to see. It was still 25+when I left the beach around 7:40 ish. There were some nice rollers coming through but as soon as it went SSW it started getting square chop on wave faces and it was hard to find smooth faces to gibe on. It was nice to be well powered instead of survival sailing for a change!
Darrell
ShonanDB

by Chris Klohn » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:32 pm

Best freaking no wind, El Niño I've ever seen. Must be the Blob :D
Chris Klohn

by Chris Klohn » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:37 pm

C36 wrote:Backdraft. Michael looked to be managing his 3.8 when I arrived at the boat ramp so I rigged 3.6/74.

By the time I got to the waters edge it was smoke on the water upwind. Yesh! Control sailing from the start and then it got crazy windy. Graph doesn't show what it was like out on the water (it was over 40 mph and then ramped up from there, way up). This is about when Chuck showed up and he was lit on 3.5! A few controlled jibes in the mid-sized waves over the second bank (some actually sucessful) and a few stock floaters. Anything else was just beyond reasonable. Saw Chuck embrace the unreasonable the throw a few endos! Even with being as gentle with the rig as possible, there were moments when the rig would backdraft (overpower, backwind, and slam back toward me) - more than a little unnerving to say the least.

Swung by Gabriel's Beach for a 'look-see' and was hoping to find waves glassing off - not quite - it was full onshore crank with uber dramatic evening light!

Gallery (better for mobile devices)
Slideshow

Sweet Pics as always C36 8-) Love the mirror image shot of the guys walking up the boat ramp and the girl on a 45. The water surface look angry in those shots!
Chris Klohn

PreviousNext

Return to Weather Talk and OSR