Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Sunday SE to E

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by Michael » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:45 pm

Chuck wrote:I can honestly say I'm not sure if I've ever had a windier session!

Insane! Probably my windiest session ever! Before it went totally insane I managed to get to the outside a few times and was scared I wan't going to make it back in.
Trying to punch through the outer break was like Pistol River, I mean I got pounded and rolled big time. Could barely hold on to the 3.8 and when you jumped you just got pushed backwards. I had given up and was on my way back in when through the smoke on the water I saw Dave walking out. It looked like someone walking out of a sand storm! I saw Dave take a few rides and went back out for some more punishment. At this point it was pretty much un-sailable when Chuck comes blasting off the shore with his 3.5! I told him I wasn't able to sail anymore but it seemed to back off a few knots so I tried again. Blasted around a bit but didn't venture too far out, then it seemed to come down to a sailable level I went back out only to have the wind switch and tank right when I was in the impact zone again. After getting washed a few more times I managed to get up and slog in until it was shallow enough to walk. Scary at times when I was out there alone but good experience for those big days on the coast!
Michael

by Chuck » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:10 am

AdrienGrelon wrote:Crikey!

Note to self: Checking the forecast on Friday and making the call to leave gear LOCKED up at work for the WHOLE weekend is a bad move.

When has a locked compound ever come between you and a solid session? ;) :lol:
Chuck

by 8mdude » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:14 am

Michael wrote:
Chuck wrote:I can honestly say I'm not sure if I've ever had a windier session!

Insane! Probably my windiest session ever! Before it went totally insane I managed to get to the outside a few times and was scared I wan't going to make it back in.
Trying to punch through the outer break was like Pistol River, I mean I got pounded and rolled big time. Could barely hold on to the 3.8 and when you jumped you just got pushed backwards. I had given up and was on my way back in when through the smoke on the water I saw Dave walking out. It looked like someone walking out of a sand storm! I saw Dave take a few rides and went back out for some more punishment. At this point it was pretty much un-sailable when Chuck comes blasting off the shore with his 3.5! I told him I wasn't able to sail anymore but it seemed to back off a few knots so I tried again. Blasted around a bit but didn't venture too far out, then it seemed to come down to a sailable level I went back out only to have the wind switch and tank right when I was in the impact zone again. After getting washed a few more times I managed to get up and slog in until it was shallow enough to walk. Scary at times when I was out there alone but good experience for those big days on the coast!

After Alton and I heard your OSR, I also prayed for your life
8mdude

by Slappy » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:41 am

ShonanDB wrote:Drove over to Maple Beach to have a look as I thought the walk would be less than the Boat Launch or 3rd but the water was still a long ways out so I headed over to Gulf Road to take a look and there were nice

Did you check out LHP?
Slappy

by C36 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:39 pm

AdrienGrelon wrote:Crikey!

Note to self: Checking the forecast on Friday and making the call to leave gear LOCKED up at work for the WHOLE weekend is a bad move. Last night I had a dream I hit an epic frontside cutback at Centennial - must've been a sign. Good thing I'm still rolling on Thursday morning's stoke!

Good to hear you brought a knife to the knife party, big Chuck. The race is on for the first mainlander (excluding Dan ;) ) to stick a backie! Is it me, or is 2016 turning into "06"?? :D

One big difference between 2006 and 2016 - in 2006 the wind stayed the same direction AND hung around for more than an hour at a time. :D ;)

Example: November 15, 2006
C36

by ShonanDB » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:25 pm

Slappy wrote:
ShonanDB wrote:Drove over to Maple Beach to have a look as I thought the walk would be less than the Boat Launch or 3rd but the water was still a long ways out so I headed over to Gulf Road to take a look and there were nice

Did you check out LHP?

Yes, stopped at LHP as well but it was chaos South of the point and wrapping rollers that rolled 90 degrees to the beach but were only breaking right along the shore. I sailed there before on that big wind storm day last summer (power was out for a few days) on a similar day (3.0m sail and 73L) and there was so much water moving around the point that even though I was fully lit, it was a point fest to stay up near the lighthouse. The rollers were over head high once you got 50m off the beach and it was unnerving as there was a wind shadow when I was in the wave troughs. Forgot my 3.0 at home yesterday and it was too windy for my 3.7m so I went down to Gulf Rd as there looked to be more white water down that way.
Reg surf, it would have been a paddle-fest to try to surf the point as the tide was pushing in as well as the storm surge.
DB
ShonanDB

Previous

Return to Weather Talk and OSR