Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

S Thursday

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by Chris Klohn » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:43 pm

Really glad Cash had help and made it in okay. Getting caught in lines with a massive rain squall, big waves and then tanking wind is no joke. I read online wave heights were 4-5 meters in the southern strait. Probably explains why the hovercraft couldn't round Point Roberts. Sounds like an epic session in rare conditions for the hardcore early risers with a game plan, epic frustration for those that waited and epic cruelty for the working crowd. Not to worry, there are more fronts forecast over the next three days.
Chris Klohn

by Slappy » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:02 pm

Chris Klohn wrote:Sounds like an epic session in rare conditions for the hardcore early risers with a game plan, epic frustration for those that waited and epic cruelty for the working crowd.

It was more like frustration for all the kiters, as we had to sit from 7-8 waiting for the tide to drop before we could launch. But it was only Cash and I that showed up at 7:00.
Slappy

by Chris Klohn » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:16 pm

It's pretty rare the storm surge and tide is so high the beach disappears and your launching options are gone :shock: My friend sent me footage of waves washing over the road into his driveway in La Conner Washington. He said most beach front communities on Whidbey Island with southern exposure had some sort of flooding today with the high storm surge. The winds cranked into the mid 40's until 1pm on Whidbey today before tanking around 2:30pm. Huge day of wind south of the border. I think being in the lee of the Olympics and out of the massive rain / hail squalls had something to do with it. Huge respect to all those that got out or attempted to get out at the crack of dawn. The 6pm news will be interesting to watch tonight.
Attachments
image.jpeg
7.5 Hours Of Insanity On Whidbey
image.jpeg (253.15 KiB) Viewed 13489 times
Chris Klohn

by Alton » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:47 pm

Slappy wrote:Saw James arrive at the beach. Couldn't see Cash anymore though so I got James to try and spot him. I launched James on the outside of the log line and he went to check on Cash. He came back in and reported Cash was tangled in his lines pretty good and to call the coast guard. I did that while he went back out to help Cash. I flagged down some beach walkers and had them call 911. They just put it to the police though and the didn't even dispatch the hovercraft until about 30 minutes later. After about an hour James and Cash body dragged in on James 8m after having let Cash's 10m free. Hover craft never even made it around the point.

Cash wrote:Thank you all for your concern, greatly appreciated!! Yes I'm ok.

James from Beach Grove was there to save the day! During a jump ( caught on my Woo, fell 20 feet) my harness hook snapped off. No where to connect chicken loop. I tried to tie it off with spare downhaul line I carry for just such case, but the wind and large waves kept pulling bar away from me. In the end I decided to wrap lines but the waves pushed me into the loose lines and I became tangled. Got to my kite with bar but the other 3 lines were wrapped everywhere around me. Waited with kite till James came by. He gave me his hook knife and I started cutting. Finally free!!! Let kite go and with the help of James dragging me made it back to the beach.

Lessons learned
#1 carry knife always ( mine was in my truck console)
#2 stay calm!
#3 have good look at water state before winding up lines( waves are nasty)
#4 stay calm!

James thank you!!!!
Alton

by C36 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:22 pm

Vampire. Power outages and trees down. The night wind hung around long enough to give the early birds a session at dawn. Nice to see AG and Centennial got some 'alone time'. Hope they were able to come to terms. Then the rest took to the water (M, RyanCR500 and I). Wind swell was steep and spacing a little tight (angle outbound made for not quiet enough space to spool up). Some wood in the first 100 m off the beach then all clear. Weeds seemed light too. Got in a few spins and some frontside tries (reconnecting). Then thought AG and I had gone for one too many and was in for a lllllloooooonnnnnnggggg swim in after getting rolled off in a lull. I was able to just waterstart and nurse my way onto a swell to barely catch my last ride in. Thank goodness! Nice to have a quick post session chat with the fellas and special guest DD. But was sorry to see Richard show up a bit too late ~

Gallery (better for mobile devices)
Slideshow

AdrienGrelon wrote:Maybe I'm finally going to get a taste of 2006-style wind.

Alton wrote:That was 10 years ago. I'm too old for this sh*t ... going to pass.

Looks like it's official: Alton gone soft. :? :lol: :D ;)

Glad Cash made it in! :D Well done James! :D
Last edited by C36 on Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C36

by Michael » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:33 pm

Thanks for taking the time to take pics Dave, those shots of me you can really see the wave height. :!: Nice :!: I'm sure that ate into your sailing time this morning.
Attachments
25660820846_ca008388ae_k.jpg
25660820846_ca008388ae_k.jpg (855.33 KiB) Viewed 13445 times
Michael

by Faceplant » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:07 pm

Nice pics Dave.
Thanks for sharing the response from Cash Alton.
Going to have to inspect that book and possibly think about replacing that part although I suspect it to be a rare occurance.
Will research.
Have fun rest of week fellas. I'm 8 hours north of Saskatoon. Got a kite and snowboard and lots of lakes. Just need some wind.
Faceplant

by AdrienGrelon » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:17 pm

Thanks for the pics, as always, Dave! The shot with the birds and the waves breaking is very dramatic.

Glad to hear Cash is all good and big ups to James for dragging the best beard in town back in. Hope he can find his 10m downwind somewhere...
AdrienGrelon

by Michael » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:30 pm

Michael wrote:Thanks for taking the time to take pics Dave, those shots of me you can really see the wave height. :!: Nice :!: I'm sure that ate into your sailing time this morning.

A few more pics. Managed to get a few from the gopro before the card came out.
Attachments
PunchingOut.jpg
#photo 1
PunchingOut.jpg (215.2 KiB) Viewed 13430 times
Airtime.jpg
#photo 2
Airtime.jpg (157 KiB) Viewed 13430 times
BetweenWaves.jpg
#photo 3
BetweenWaves.jpg (242.67 KiB) Viewed 13430 times
Chop.jpg
#photo 4
Chop.jpg (234.4 KiB) Viewed 13430 times
AlmostHeadHigh.jpg
#photo 5
AlmostHeadHigh.jpg (252.96 KiB) Viewed 13430 times
SpottingTheLip.jpg
#photo 6
SpottingTheLip.jpg (261.97 KiB) Viewed 13430 times
Smack.jpg
#photo 7
Smack.jpg (270.65 KiB) Viewed 13430 times
Michael

by ShonanDB » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:36 pm

Great pics Dave and Michael! Looks and sounds like another epic day.
ShonanDB

PreviousNext

Return to Weather Talk and OSR