Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

S Thursday

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by AdrienGrelon » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:32 pm

5:30am left Deep Cove. Some good signs on the drive down:

- Deep Cove was windy.
- Traffic lights were sideways.
- Car was getting tossed around on the highway, noticeable headwind making it tough for me to break 100kmh in my car.
- SE high wind warning sign on road to BBay.

AdrienGrelon wrote:Maybe I'm finally going to get a taste of 2006-style wind.

Just after posting my OSR, I had a quick chat with a kiter who said "it's like 06 right now. Do you remember 06?" :D I wasn't even windsurfing yet in 06!

Got my mint new 3.7 rigged up as I waited for some company before launching. For the first few runs 3.7 felt like too much, but as it backed off a touch it became perfect! And what a treat this new Severne 3.7 is compared to my old Naish Session 3.7 (which was twitchy and gutless, rigged on same mast and boom).

First few runs were loaded with lofty boosts to get warmed up. At times really smooth spacing between waves, at time a little closer together, but overall much more organized than the last storm surge, with perfect logo high vertical ramps on tap.

Once my McDees loop-formula coffee had fully hit the blood stream and the first forward of the day was thrown, it was backloop attempt after backloop attempt! Getting SO close to claiming one now. The 2 best attempts of the day had full visual awareness of what was going on through the flight, and slightly nose first flat landing over the board (fully rotated), still in the straps with, unfortunately, the rig no longer in my hands :roll: Once I learn to gauge which attempts are on point and which ones are duds, I should be able to know when to bail out (and let go of the rig) and when to grit my teeth and hang on for the landing.

After hitting the water, I was shortly joined by Tsawwassen Ryan, Michael and Dave C36, all sporting their respective 3.6-3.8s 8-) Michael was going euro-frontside all the way into the mainland equivalent of Udderland :D By 9am it had died off and clocked, but I had to head to work anyways so timing was perfect.

Best session of 2016 so far for me. Centennial is back in my good books and the stokeometer is at an all time high. Glad to share this epic morning with the gang!

edit* Glad to hear Cash and other kiter are ok! Hopefully Cash didn't lose his beard to the lines (and his subsequent boosting powers).
Last edited by AdrienGrelon on Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AdrienGrelon

by Roxstock » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:35 pm

Wow, scary story, I'm glad everyone is ok.

Is there any wind left out there? I finish work at 2:30 and want to get out. Iona is reading 15g20 but I don't like riding alone.
Roxstock

by Faceplant » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:47 pm

Holy smokes! Glad the wind died when it did. Being tangled in lines in this early morning wind could have been a nightmare. Glad fellow kiter helped out.
Would like to hear Cash's story so we can all learn.
Faceplant

by gabrielb » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:48 pm

Adrien, In some other lifetime, Severne S-1 (lightest high-wind sail) would be my choice.
Severne Overdrive 7m is very forgiving/silk compared to my old retro crap.

They just make good stuff (australian?) ... and I am not a windsurfer in any way.

Those waves were impressive and the space between them, we should get a drone to get footage of you guys in those conditions, if it can withstand 100km/h winds.
gabrielb

by mparkes » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:50 pm

Hey rox, I'm heading to Iona, haven't kited there before but SW looks to hold rest of the day. It's 10 kts at crescent , heading over there now.
mparkes

by Michael » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:56 pm

Ya sweet day with Adrien, Dave and Ryan. Crazy high tide at first with big waves just off the beach. By the time I had rigged though the tide had dropped enough to launch without much trouble. Great wind angle today for getting frontside rides and I got some of my best wave ridding ever at Centennial. I even managed to get a top nice turn in on one macker. It was not to last though as the forecasted wind event never really materialized. Great on the 3.8 while it lasted though, with a few backie attempts and some great stock airs. My SD card got knocked loose on my first back loop attempt so no footage unfortunately. Wish it had of lasted a little longer as it started out epic. Like Adrien said I ended up catching waves way down into the bay to end the session.
Michael

by Roxstock » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:07 pm

I will be there at 3:00 Matt.
Roxstock

by Roxstock » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:37 pm

I just heard them talking about cash on the news 1130
Roxstock

by Ryancr500 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:39 pm

Great day!! Showed up at Centennial just after 7:00. Adrien was already rigged up and ready to hit the water. High tides reached almost to the walking path at Centennial. Rigged up 3.7M and thought it may be too large. Watched Adrien launch and immediately caught some airtime. He stuck the landing and caught air off the next wave. I hit the water just after Michael and noticed my harness lines were unadjusted since the 6.1 day at the boat launch. I came in to adjust, thinking I may need to preserve my energy for a long day of shredding the waves! The waves were huge right off the beach and they just got larger further out. I wasn't feeling too adventurous today and let Michael and Adrien venture further out. David C36 and I surfed the waves closer to shore. I felt a few moments when the wind decreased and decided to make my way in. The last 100M was barely able to keep the board afloat. The others made it in but had to use the surf to get them ashore. Fantastic Day!!
Ryancr500

by Chuck » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:11 pm

mparkes wrote:Hey rox, I'm heading to Iona, haven't kited there before but SW looks to hold rest of the day. It's 10 kts at crescent , heading over there now.

I'll swing by for a looksie as well..beach looked pretty flooded earlier today when I landed
Chuck

PreviousNext

Return to Weather Talk and OSR