Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

SE Friday

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by Roxstock » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:52 pm

I got to 3rd ave at 3:30 and to my surprise there was only one kite out. Me and another guy launched at around 4:00 and were both thinking we should have pumped 12m instead of 9m. Then by 4:15 it picked up and we were both well powered. Saw Matt work his way up from 72nd then head back.Ended with a tangle in my lines at 5:30 so called it a day as I was getting overpowered and want to save my legs for whistler tomorrow. New PB with the woo!
Roxstock

by C36 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:05 pm

That`s better! Forecast for dawn patrol was great exagerated so went back to sleep, breakfast, then off the beach around noon. Really thought I was headed to Gabriel`s Beach to see if the 30+ at Saturna was pushing any waves there or not, but CNL spiked just before I arrived. Arrived to find a balmy 12 degrees with DB, M, RyanCR500 and Richard all out on the water, but the picture in the parking lot looked a bit different, hardly 22, gusting 28 as sailors out were all tomb stoned. Then the wind freshed, sailors planing, time to rig. Wind kept building so started with my suit, then decided on 4.5/92 as some of the others came in for smaller gear. One short blast and single jump then bobing back to shore (was NOT happy about this tease). Rigged 5.3/115 and gave it a second shot and was well powered from the moment I left the beach and then very shortly decided there was enough for the 4.5/92 again. Wind was stable and steady now, wind swell had built and there were ramps and rides. Even managed to reconnect back to the wave with a couple of the frontside tries. Saw M loft a backloop attempt and Ryan bang off a nice floater! Wind built again and it turned 'heavy'. Saw Jay Browner firing out and then fired back in. Stopped for a quick chat then shared a couple of rides. Then called it after coming in for something smaller, but decided more 'rest' was in order. Nice to know I hadn't forgotten everything and didn't feel like I was tripping over my own feet as much (crazy flu-head-fog).

Gallery (better for mobile devices)
Slideshow
C36

by Michael » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:31 pm

Thanks for the pics Dave, glad you had a good one today! Super fun day. The wind just kept building, mind you with some big lulls. Went from 5.2 to 4.7 to 4.3 which I should have gone to sooner but didn't think the wind would keep building. Only 2 backie attempts today but one was so close, first time I've scooped the nose when landing but couldn't control the landing. Worked on backside aerials today but twisted my ankle on one.

BacksideAerial_1.jpg
BacksideAerial_1.jpg (226.02 KiB) Viewed 4904 times

BacksideAerial_2.jpg
BacksideAerial_2.jpg (250.72 KiB) Viewed 4904 times
Michael

by Mike » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:36 am

Windsurf board in for repair so kite day. Got skeptical of the wind showing up so went big kite when wind was not great. Best part was second half of session with Dave B & Alton on 7M when wind and waves were best. As Alton said, Dave motivates you to up the wave game as he shows how it could be. First "bigger" wave day for me on kite and there's all sorts of opportunities here. Can't wait still Sunday but do need a rest day today (kiting can be a workout).
Mike

by Roxstock » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:04 am

Another good showing from locals in the North America top 15.
Attachments
image.png
image.png (218.24 KiB) Viewed 4863 times
Roxstock

by Alton » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:08 am

Roxstock wrote:Another good showing from locals in the North America top 15.

Andy from Bellingham got 17m. Holy sh*t
Alton

Previous

Return to Weather Talk and OSR